the funniest little kids (humanAU)

Tw: depression, suicide

PoV Till
"Till. Can we talk for a second?", my uncle asked, as he took me aside.

"Yeah, what's up?", I questioned.

"I heard from your aunt that you and you're brothers are struggling financially. I just wanted to offer you my help. With anything, really.", he said softly, his hand on my shoulder.

"If you want, we can take the twins. We got a house now and we are stable enough to do so.", he then added. I huffed and wiped his arm away.

"That won't be necessary. If you really want to help, you could help us with the student depts.", I said.

"Allright, just so you know, we're here for you now.", he smiled softly.

"Why?", I blurted out, "Why now?! It's been 6 years!  The twins are turning 15 soon! We do you want to be there now?!",

My uncle looked away. I could tell he felt guilty.

"I'm sorry. ", I sighed.

Then I turned to leave and join the rest of the family at the barbecue, but he called after me: "Till, wait! You are 24 years old. You should go to parties, or date someone. I mean, if you need time for that, drop em off here.",

I nodded. Then I went outside.

Will was sitting alone in a corner, his nose in a book again. I went to sit with him.

"What are you reading?", I asked out of boredom and curiosity.

"The perks of being a wallflower. It's really good.", he replied.

"Despite that, why don't you hang out with Bill and our cousins?", I asked.

"You know they always pick on me...", Will sighed, putting his book down.

I smiled warmly.

"And you're not in the mood for adult talking?", I asked.

He nodded.

"Alright. Just tell me if you get overwhelmed.", I said. Then I left him alone to join my triplets, aunt and older cousins.

"What did I miss?", I asked with the smile still on my lips.

"Oh, we were just talking about how funny little kids you all were. You know, before you became so serious.", my aunt joked.

"Is Will okay? I'm not sure he took hid meds this morning?", asked Chill.

I shrugged.

"He just wants to read. Who can blame him for that?", I replied, stretching a little.

Then a silence fell on us, until aunt Megan asked: "is he getting better?"

I looked at Will worriedly.

"I think currently it's a higher phase, but you know how depression can always get back to you.", Chill sighed.

Then cousin Tad changed the topic smoothly, which I was thankful for. I did not want to talk about my little brother's suicidal thoughts at a barbecue.

I myself drifted into a thoughtful silence, in which I thought about if I should at least offer staying with aunt Megan and uncle Frederick to the twins. Then again, what would I do if they chose to do that?

After our parents died in a car accident, acting like my mother in front of my brothers has become my personality. Being there for them was what kept me from falling apart.

Besides, Matt, Brad and Betty really did pick on Will a lot. He wouldn't be happy here.

Suddenly someone nudged me. I almost jumped at the sudden touch, but quickly regained stability. I glared at Chill.