Part 29

Gouri's pov.

As I lay in bed feeling unwell, the heaviness of fatigue weighed on my limbs. The absence of Nitya's usual call or message left an unsettling void in my chest. It was unlike her not to check in, especially when she knew I wasn't feeling well. Then, just as I began to wonder, a notification chimed on my phone. It was a message from Nitya. But as I read it, a furrow creased my brow. She addressed me by my name, Gouri, a departure from her usual affectionate nicknames. It struck an odd chord within me, a discordant note in our usual dynamic. Before I could dwell on this further, the shrill ring of my phone interrupted my thoughts, pulling me away from my concerns about Nitya's message.

The next morning, the urgency of the unknown caller's voice jolted me into action. Concern etched lines of worry on my face as I rushed to the hospital. The sterile scent of antiseptic greeted me as I entered the lobby, mingling with the murmurs of anxious visitors and the distant beep of medical equipment. My heart raced with each passing second, a drumbeat of apprehension echoing in my chest.

At the reception desk, I frantically inquired about Nitya, my voice trembling with worry. But the receptionist's bewildered expression mirrored my own confusion. There was no record of any patient named Nitya. Frustration bubbled up within me, mingling with the gnawing anxiety that had taken root in my gut. With trembling fingers, I dialed the unknown number, desperate for answers.

The voice on the other end directed me to a VIP room, its significance shrouded in mystery. With hesitant steps, I made my way down the corridor, my footsteps echoing against the sterile walls. But as I pushed open the door, my heart lurched in my chest. Mr. Raghuvanshi stood before me, an enigmatic figure in the midst of my confusion. What was he doing here, and what connection did he have to Nitya's sudden hospitalization?

Following his lead, I entered the room, my gaze falling upon Nitya's form. Relief flooded through me at the sight of her, her peaceful slumber a stark contrast to the chaos of my racing thoughts. But as I approached her bedside, Mr. Raghuvanshi's presence loomed over me like a shadow of uncertainty. What was his role in all of this, and why did he seem so invested in Nitya's well-being?

Before I could voice my questions, Mr. Raghuvanshi took it upon himself to provide me with answers. His words washed over me, each syllable laden with implications I struggled to comprehend. Nitya's condition, his involvement—everything seemed to blur together in a haze of confusion and disbelief. Despite my reservations, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to this situation than met the eye.

As Mr. Raghuvanshi's gaze bore into mine, a silent challenge lingered between us. His request for Nitya's medical records hung in the air, a demand I hesitated to fulfill. Why did he need them, and what did he intend to do with such personal information? But as he pressed on, his frustration simmering beneath the surface, I found myself recoiling from the idea of sharing my friend's private details with a virtual stranger.

And then, with a revelation that shattered the fragile semblance of understanding I had clung to, Mr. Raghuvanshi revealed himself as Nitya's husband. The pieces of the puzzle fell into place, yet the picture they painted remained shrouded in uncertainty. What was Nitya hiding, and why had she kept her marriage a secret from me? i know that she is married but why she didn't mention about Mr. Raghuvanshi's. As questions swirled through my mind like a tempest, I couldn't help but wonder what other secrets lay buried beneath the surface of our friendship.

***********************************************************************************************

Author's Note:English is not my native language, so I appreciate your understanding if there are any errors in my writing. Your feedback is valuable to me, so please let me know in the comments if you enjoyed my story or if there's anything I can improve upon. Thank you for your support, and I look forward to seeing you again soon!