1. Vampire vs Zombie Debate

"Are you kidding me?" My voice raises ever so slightly as I feel myself getting into the friendly banter. " When was the last time you saw a vampire movie you were actually afraid of?" I continue to question my best friend Zeke Williams.

   This argument is one that we have had many times, and I am sure we will have many more, but our opinions never waver. Our passion for our favorite horror stories is one of our favorite topics, and something that has always bound us as friends.

   The roar of the cafeteria buzzes around us, but we pay it little mind. Finally being seniors in high school has its perks; one of which is having a free period before our lunch. All summer I have been excited that we both managed to get the same time and now have almost two whole hours in the middle of day to do with as we please.

  Granted, both periods serve as a lunch so we never really get a chance to just relax on our own. Maybe if we weren't both broke and one of us had a car it would be better. Being able to actually get to go out and do something, to have a moment of freedom. Still, just sitting and chatting with a friend is always nice.

   "Reza," he shakes his head vigorously as he prepares his argument, "you are only focusing on modern day vampire movies. If you don't get hung up on a specific movie and just think of the concept," his dark blue eyes widen as he envisions a scene. "Imagine it, think about being attacked by one," his shaggy blond hair bounces wildly as he pretends to look around in fear. " I think it would be more than a little scary!" Zeke's voice raises a pitch as his excitement overtakes him.

  I love getting him worked up, he gets so animated. Not caring that as he waves his tanned arms about, his pizza swings dangerously around threatening those near with grease splatters. Thankfully his band t-shirt is black, if a stray drop lands on him it will hardly be noticeable. His jeans on the other hand, well they are on their own. Then again, he is a pretty short guy, his legs are probably tucked safely under the table.

   "Maybe, I guess as long as you're not talking about the stupid sparkle in the sun shit," I laugh, fully aware I am making a low blow at vampire movies. "But still," I pause as I brush my long black hair away from my face, "I say zombie movies are way creepier, doesn't matter if you are thinking of just the concept or a specific movie."

  I finish a bit absentminded as my attention is drawn to cleaning up my area. Once I am sure there is no lingering pizza sauce on my face I throw my napkin on top of my half eaten lunch and push the tray to the side. Normally I have no fear of eating in front of people, but something has me feeling a bit unsettled today.

   "How can zombies be creepier? They don't even run after you, they walk!" Zeke yells a bit louder causing a few of our neighbors to look over at us annoyed.

  I can't help but cringe ever so slightly as a blush creeps into my pale cheeks. I've never been one to enjoy the attention of others. Zeke notices them but doesn't shy away as I do, instead he just widens his eyes and stares right back at them till they look away.

   "That actually depends on the movie, in some they are able to run as long as they aren't too rotted. That's not the main point though, sure you could get away from one, but wait until you're surrounded! Sure you can try and fight your way out, but you know that those people are going to run out of guns eventually!" My response comes automatically as we fall into the same rhythm as always. This routine never bothered me though, it always led to the two of us vegging out in front of the TV doing a movie marathon of our favorites. "And besides-"

   "Oh look at her," Zeke rudely interrupts me mid sentence, receiving a glare in response.

  Zeke always says that my eyes, although a beautiful emerald green when smiling, look evil whenever I glare. Typically, I get a shiver or a cringe out of him, but he is far to mesmerized by something behind me to notice. Giving into my curiosity I spin around in my chair to see what is so interesting. My breath catches in my throat, instantly I understand what has captivated his attention.