8. Girls Day with a Vampire

I stretch, rolling over in my bed in attempt to get comfortable once again. Finally, I was able to get a decent nights rest, but now I am not so sure I am willing to let it end. I roll onto my back and gaze up at my night sky. Sure, it is fake, but still it is beautiful to look at. I smile to myself as thoughts of the previous day comes flooding back to me. Zeke and I decided to take Leo to the coffee shop, considering it hadn't really worked out before. He is quite, but seems kind enough, and he didn't laugh at Zeke and I too much when we let our dorkyness shine.

BUZZZ

  My phone vibrates next to my ear making me heart leap in my chest, any thought of sleep completely gone now. Fully awake, I grab my phone and smile when I see who it is. Speak of the devil.

    "What's up buttercup?"

  "Hey, I was going to say that!" Zeke whines loudly in my ear.

  "Poor baby!" I laugh.

  "Hmph," Zeke continues to pout, refusing to say more.

  "Well if you're not going to tell me why you called, I might as well hang up." I tease, knowing he will start talking.

  "Well I was thinking-" he starts to explain

  "Should I be afraid?" I interrupt, unable to pass the opportunity to tease him again.

  "No, well maybe," he hesitates.

  "You're doing that thing, that thing where you leave little cliff hangers everywhere." I groan in annoyance.

  "Sorry. OK I'll tell you, but you have to promise to think about it and not just say no" He blurts quickly, obviously nervous.

  "OK, but you are making me very suspicious."

  "Yea, I figured," He laughs softly, "but still you promise?"

  "Fine" I sigh, "promise."

  "Good, lets do the whole homecoming thing!" He announces, his voice rising with excitement.

   "Are you kidding me?" I jolt upright with surprise.

  "You promised not to say no right away!" He retorts defensively.

  "Zeke, why?" I whine, letting my body fall back into the bed in search of my comfort once again, but it has abandoned me.

  "Well Leo and I were talking after you went home. He asked if we would all being going to the game next Friday, and I told him no way, we never do." Zeke rambles through his explanation.

  "And this leads to you wanting to participate how?" I snap, not having the patience this situation calls for.

  "Let me finish!" He demands, "Anyways, as I was saying," exaggerating his words dramatically, "he looked a little upset. I guess his last school was more focused on academics then on clubs. They didn't even have a football team! Personally I think that's sounds a lot nicer, but he seemed bummed by the whole thing. I know we have always avoided it before but it is our senior year and all.... so why not at least give it a try?"

  I release a breath I didn't realize I was holding, grudgingly considering his proposal. He is right, it is our last chance, and I've seen enough old people on TV say they wasted their youth not being a part of the festivities. Some even claim to feel like something is missing! I don't think I really believe in that, but I guess who knows? Maybe in 20 years I'll be sitting there and suddenly I'll become overwhelmed with depression, all due to the fact I've never been to a dance.