10. Child Games and Vampires

I am left, shaking uncontrollably, as I continue to stare at the empty space where Damon had stood but moment ago. Zeke tightens his hold on me protectively, his strong arms wrapping me in a blanket of safety. For the first time all day, I feel truly safe. Tearing my eyes away from the emptiness, I look down at my sleeping dad.

  I've never seen him so peaceful. Whenever he passes out drunk he is always groaning and fighting with someone in his sleep, maybe himself, but now he lies there looking like he is finally resting. The sight of him tugs at my heart. I know I should hate him, but I can't. He is the only real family I have left.

  Glancing back at Zeke I see him watching me intently. I know this whole thing has him just as scared and confused as I am, but he has always been the strong one. Even though he is freaking out inside, he is going to be the one who tries to take care of me. I struggle to find the words, any words, but nothing comes to mind.

  Zeke looks into my eyes and I see that he is having the same battle with himself, and when he comes to the conclusion that there is nothing to say he gives a small smile. So much is in that small little smile that it makes me finally begin to relax. He is silently telling me that he is here for me, that I am safe, that I am not alone, and that he will be here for me until the very end.

  Letting go of dad for just a moment, I turn and wrap my arms around my best friend. Letting myself sigh deeply, I reflect, this has been one of the longest days of my life. When we let go of each other, neither of us say a word, we don't have to. We can see it in each other's eyes that this night needs to end now.

  Standing from the damp grass, I have to lean on Zeke for a brief moment to steady my legs. I don't know how long we have been sitting here, but it's long enough that my legs have fallen asleep beneath me. He watches me closely as he keeps an arm around me to make sure I have balance, worry written all over his face. I give a small nod, yes I am all right. As soon as I have feeling again, and I no longer feel like I may collapse in on myself, I take a step out of his reach. He continues to watch me for a moment, to insure I real am all right. When I don't waver, he turns his attention to my dad. I am thankful that I don't even need to ask for his help, honestly I don't know if I could form words right now if I even wanted to.

  Dad is not a small guy, and we have to struggle to lift him to his feet. Once we each have one of his arms around our shoulders, we are able to finally start moving forward, but each step is a struggle. For the briefest of moments, I wish Damon was here to help, but all it does is make my stomach clench. I can't think of him right now, there is far too much to figure out.

  As we get dad inside the house, my muscles are screaming at me to just give up on him. Just a little farther, I keep telling myself, as we inch our way into his bedroom. With a groan, I use all my remaining strength to push dad off of me and onto his bed. He has fallen so that his upper body is on the mattress, but his lower half is hanging significantly off. Zeke moves to try and adjust him but I give a wave of my hand, signaling don't worry about it. I just don't have enough energy to care. When he wakes up, he will think that is just how he passed out.

  Putting his arm around me, Zeke leads the way into the living room. I momentarily think about trying to get upstairs to my bedroom, but my aching body insists that I give up on even the thought. Zeke collapses on the far side of the couch and pats the seat next to him. Never in my life has the couch looked so inviting.

  Letting myself fall in beside him, I don't even try to suppress the moan of pleasure that comes from how comfortable I feel. I let myself lay out with my head on his lap and my legs curled close to me. His arm drapes over me, making me once again feel safe and secure. This day has been so crazy, I doubt I will even be able to get any sleep. I just have so much to think about. Yet as soon as I close my eyes, I fall into a deep slumber.