38. Vampires and Choices

My knees tremble, threatening to send me tumbling across the side walk as I force myself to take my first steps in what feels like hours. We have been waiting, watching for her to arrive. With each passing moment the doubt in my heart grew, leaving me feeling small and helpless.

  Why did I let them talk me into this plan? This isn't going to work, I just know it.

  With a shake of my head I banish the thoughts that have been tormenting me since the moment I arrived at my post. We decided to split up, to each have our own roll. Zeke, who everyone acknowledges as our weakest link, has agreed to stand as our look out. While it did take some prodding, he now stands at alert on top of the playground slide, eyes peeled for anything that may be amiss.

  It was a text from him that that first alerted me of our plan officially being set in motion. The buzzing from my cell phone seemed to spark me to life, like a shock of electricity surging through my body, I was suddenly at full alert. I did not need to search for her as I peeked around the corner of the building, her energy was like a black hole sucking in all light and goodness. My eyes went straight to her, gliding down the street like death itself.

  She did not glance in my direction, yet I was certain she knew exactly where I was. From that moment I have not been able to catch my breath. Even after she vanished into the Coffee shop, it's like I can feel her hovering over my shoulder.

  I struggle to pull in air, to calm my jittery nerves, and continue to push forward. I straighten my back, lifting my chin, doing anything I can to portray the confidence I so desperately wish I had.

  If only Damon was with me, he always manages to make me feel stronger that I am. Makes me feel safe even when my world is crashing down around me. He has his own place in this plan however, and even if I am not completely happy with it, I have agreed to go along.

  Damon, Stefan, and Elena are already inside the coffee shop. It was very important for them to arrive first, wanting to make sure that no type of trap would be set on us. I couldn't argue with that point, it only makes sense. I wanted them to get out of there as soon as they were convinced the coast was clear, but they refused.

  Going with Damon's plan to make their presence blatantly known, they are lying in wait, pretending to leisurely enjoy a cup of coffee. The moment she sauntered through that door, I yeaned to reach out to them, to ensure that no harm has come their way. I hold my impulsiveness in check, even as my fingers twitch to dial one of their numbers.

  I can't think about them now, no matter how much my heart desires to keep them safe. I must stay focused on what I came here to do, that is the only way that I can truly keep them out of harms way. I may have agreed to their plan, agreed to try and trick her into letting me see the book so I may learn how my mother did what she did. What I did not tell them however, I will do anything it takes to keep them from getting hurt.

  If that means I die, well then so be it.

  I can't know what to expect from this meeting, but I know deep down it's not going to go as smoothly as everyone hopes it to. I will be ready for anything.

  Ignoring my sweaty palms, I grasp at the door handle and swing it open with determination. Warmth rushes over me, embracing my clammy skin and pulling me into the cozy room. Soft instrumental music plays, just barely able to be heard over the soft conversation of customers I recognize from my many years coming into this shop. The sweet scent of coffee tempts me to the counter, every part of me wanting to fall into my usual habits in this place that has always been my sanctuary.