3. Vampire and Broken Glass

"Well, not that this hasn't been fun," Damon announces as he stands from the table, "but we really do need to get back to work."

  My heart sinks at the idea of having to go home, I really was having such a great time. I am so happy, and honestly proud of myself, for coming out tonight. I glance outside and my eyes widen in surprise, its pitch black out there! All feeling of happiness quickly forgotten, I quickly dig my phone out of my pocket, my hands shaking as panic rises in me. I have to force myself not to groan aloud, I can't believe it's so late!

  How could I forget to turn my phone volume up after school? Zeke is going to be furious! Even worse... my dad is going to kill me! Five missed calls, and only one of them is from Zeke. I have two voice mails, but I am really not looking forward to listening to them.

  "Are you OK?" Elena asks softly, studying me closely.

  "Oh, just fine. Totally lost track of time," I rush through my words, focusing on keeping my voice even. I slide out of the booth after Damon, my muscles tensing at the need to run home. "This was fun though, see you guys tomorrow k?"

   I give a little wave and throw my bag over my shoulder. Go, I have to go! I have to get out of here, but I don't want to be too obviously worried. I turn to the door and move as quickly as I can without breaking out into a run.

  Suddenly a hand is on my shoulder, halting me in my tracks. My heart skips a beat, heat radiating from the touch slowly spreading through me. I slowly turn around, my body trembling in response, to see Damon's body close to mine. He looks down to me with soft eyes, considering me. His ever present smirk no where to be found, instead his soft lips are turned down in a subtle frown. I would almost dare to say he looks concerned

  "Do you need a ride? I have my car here," he offers.

  My heart flutters in my chest as I think about being alone with Damon, my stomach flip flops in response. I really don't understand my body! There is nothing special about getting a ride home, he is just trying to be nice!

  "Um, Damon?" Elena calls in a warning as she and Stefan dart out of their booth.

  They move in close to Damon, standing on either side of him as though to block him in. Glancing between the three, I am suddenly very uncomfortable. I am reminded of the way wolves circle their prey, and my skin prickles with alertness. Alarms ring in my mind, there has to be something more, something is going on. There isn't anything special about a ride home, right?

  "Oh no, thank you though," I absently answer, focusing more on the need to get out of this situation than anything else.  "It doesn't take me long to walk home."

  I am not really lying, right? I mean, a half hour isn't that long in retrospect. I just need to get out of here! Damon doesn't break eye contact with me and I can't help but squirm under his gaze. It's like he is looking right through my little lie, right through me. I bite my lip as I lock eyes with him, trying to stand my ground, but glancing away a moment later unable to take the intensity of his stare.

  "Come on it will only take a second for me to drive you," he insists,  expertly spinning me around toward the door, sliding his hand down to my lower back.

  My body tenses, my breath catching in my throat as my mind refuses to focus on anything besides the feel of his hand against me. I don't need much convincing, only a light pressure applied, to let him lead me forward. My legs quiver below me, but the move onward. I can feel my body responding, in ways that I don't fully understand, but my mind is in a haze. My heart thrashes within me, my skin tingling incessantly, distracting all my other senses.