27. Vampires and Library Books

--------Damon's POV--------

  "Well, that was anticlimactic." I scoff, kicking at a mound of upturned dirt as we weave our way through the headstones.

  "Sounds like someone was hoping for a heroic tale to tell." Stefan teases, sending a sideways glance while trying to hide his oncoming grin.

  "Someone was just hoping to be able to finish this!" I retort, denying any truth his words may carry.

  I must admit however, at least to myself, that I did indeed enjoy the look Reza gave me when we left the cabin. Very few times in my life has someone looked to me to be the savior. Most often it's quite the opposite actually. I have grown used to being thought of as the monster that I am, and yet my heart leaped at the opportunity to be more... for her.

  "Uh huh, if you say so." He chuckles to himself.

  "Oh, don't start with me." I grumble, dismissing my brothers attempts at teasing.

  "You know it's okay to have feelings for someone, other than yourself," He pushes.

  "Seriously?" I eye him, my nose crinkling with distaste, "We are going to do this now?"

  "Admit it, you wanted to impress a certain girl." Stefan continues, his grin spreading over his face.

  "I wanted to find this key!" I snap defensively.

  "It would have helped if we were able to find the crypt." Stefan shrugs, shoving his hands in his pockets.

  "Face it, this was a wild goose chase." I sneer, my dislike for this Leo kid growing ever more.

  We just spent over an hour scouring every inch of this cemetery, only to find nothing. While there are plenty of tombstones, there are no crypts of any kind. Oddly enough, no dead people either, walking or otherwise. Well, other than the two of us that is.

  "What reason would Leo have to lie?" Stefan challenges, instantly disliking the idea a friend would do such a thing.

  "To get something, what else?" I answer, picking up my pace as we near my car.

  "I just don't see what he would get out of it." Stefan argues, quickening his step as well to keep up with me.

  "Because you're always so great at seeing peoples intentions." I mock, not even looking back at my brother as I round the car.

  In the silent night it is easy to hear his sigh, and I know that every part of him is looking for another explanation. I roll my eyes, but keep my mouth shut. We have been together long enough that I know anything I say will only make him fight harder against my opinion.

   I open the driver's door, but do not get in right away. Instead, I lean against the roof and watch him mull over his thoughts. He stands only a foot away from the car, but his tense stance suggests he is far from ready to get inside. He avoids looking at me, but I am sure he can feel my steady stare. Finally, he gives a tight nod before clearing his thought.

  "Maybe we just missed it." He suggests, lifting his eyes to steady me with a determined glare.

  "Yea, because crypts can be sneaky little things." I answer with a raised eyebrow.

  "I wouldn't have said zombies were sneaky, but we can't seem to find them either." He quips, crossing his arms over his chest stubbornly.

  "Fine," I sigh, knowing he will not let this go, "what do you suggest? Another stroll?"