25. Vampires and Crypts

My hands tremor as I press them to my chest, desperate to slow my racing heart. Fear and desperation egging it on, nearing panic. The sputtering of the fire echoing the dramatic events, making it all too easy to imagine finding the half dead woman inside her blazing home. I struggle to breathe, forgetting the need while Elena's words pierce through me.

   End of all ends? Save them all?

  "You seriously expect us to believe that?" Leo huffs, folding his arms over his chest defiantly.

  "Why would she lie?" Zeke counters, turning in his seat to confront the doubtful man.

  "And it kind of explains what is going on," I add, my voice cracking slightly, my fear evident in the way I continue to quiver.

  "So what, you have just been wandering aimlessly, looking for some key?" Leo scoffs, rolling his eyes and slouching back, looking almost pouty.

  "Well," Elena's eyes narrow slightly at the condescending tone, watching us closely from her spot on the floor in front of the fire, "I wouldn't say aimlessly."

  "We have been searching locations that are connected to valley of peace." Stefan explains, shifting his weight from one foot to the other while he leans back against the withering wood. "It was the only lead that we were really able to positively decipher from her warning."

  "So why here?" Leo demands, his voice only hardening with his disbelief.

   I nibble my lip, my stomach turning at the exchange that is slowly growing heated. I study Leo, his form tense ready to bolt at any given moment. His eyes narrow with suspicion, constantly looking for the trick he believes is being pulled on him. All this after hearing about visions, it's a good thing we didn't start with the truth on vampires. Then again, people do say seeing is believing.

  "Pax Dale literally translates to Peace Valley" Elena patently answers.

  "Oh, like she said, it's all in the name!" Zeke exclaims, more excited by the concept of a puzzle to work on rather than fearful of what it forewarns.

  "Well," Stefan shrugs, considering him, "that could be, but we figured she was referencing our name."

  "Salvatore means savior" Elena clarifies before anyone has to ask.

  "What makes you guys so special?" Leo grumbles, slouching further into his seat with each passing word.

  I eye him, a new thought flittering at the edge of my mind. Maybe he isn't doubtful, is he jealous?

  "We didn't ask for this." Stefan announces, slow and clearly so as not to be misunderstood.

  "Oh don't lie baby brother," Damon chimes in, speaking for the first time in quite a while, "you thrive on being the hero."

  "And you don't?" Zeke challenges, eyeing Damon skeptically.

  "Oh no," Damon responds with a shake of his head. "Not me." he shrugs, pushing himself off his spot on the arm rest and lazily stretching his arms above his head. His shirt pulls up, teasing me with the faintest glimpse of muscle before he drops his arms back to his sides. "The hero doo just wouldn't suit me." He grins mischievously at his brother before turning and walking behind the couch, disappearing from view.

  "So what now?" Zeke turns his back on Damon, no longer interested in anything he may have to say.

  "Now, assuming this is the evil the vision was warning us of, then there must be a key of sorts here somewhere." Stefan answers, speaking more to himself. His eyes shift to the ceiling, focusing more on what ever is going through his mind rather than us.