13. Safe

Rebecca Armstrong

I was looking at my cell phone, trying to determine if I should call her or not. She had already asked me out a couple of times, so she wouldn't say no, would she? I mean, it was only lunch, nothing too fancy.

I was going to play it off like the idea just popped in my head, when honestly, I had been thinking about it the whole morning.

I decided I was going to regret it if I didn't ask, so I pressed call.

'Hello, BB. How are you?'

BB. Damn, even over the phone she made the butterflies in my stomach flutter.

Play it cool.

Play it cool.

Play it cool.

I managed to ask her out and when she agreed to come, I almost started dancing.

Luckily, I didn't, because that would have been a funny sight, since I was standing in the mall. I was pretty close to the place where we would meet up, so I quickly did one other shop and started walking to the tavern.

When I arrived, she was already standing at the entrance, holding her phone. Five seconds later, my cell went off.

- Standing outside. I'm a bit early. -

I smiled and put my cell away, closing in on her. She looked up and smiled.

'Seems like I'm not the only one who couldn't wait? she said with a cocky grin and wink.

'Don't flatter yourself. I said, pushing her lightly, pretending like she was wrong. We both knew she wasn't.

Earlier on I almost had to force myself to do that one last shop instead of already walking to Luna's.

She grinned. 'Whatever. Come here? She said, pulling me closer. Slowly and softly pressing her lips on mine. I moaned. It felt like it had been too long, even though only three days had passed since I saw her.

I felt her smile against my lips. 'I missed that. she whispered.

I was about to say something similar when my stomach decided it was hungry and started rumbling.

I looked apologetically at her. 'Sorry. I'm hungry.

She shook her head, smiled and then bit her lip. 'Then let's have lunch. She said, opening the door.

'So, my parents are in town this weekend. she casually mentioned, in between two bites of her sandwich.

'Oh, okay. So, I won't be seeing you then?' I asked carefully. Not really knowing where she was going with her statement.

I guess not. Unless you want to come and meet them?' she casually said again. I almost choked on my burger. Meet her parents? We weren't even officially dating Maybe it was a bit too fast, maybe another time. Yeah, that was a safe answer. I opened my mouth.

'Errrr.. was the only sound I could make.

'So that would be a, no? she said, not batting an eye. Maybe she just asked to be polite and was glad I wasn't really up for it.

But she went on.

'When am I meeting your parents?' she asked. This time I really choked on my burger. She started patting my back, rubbing it soothingly.

'Okay, so this topic is off limits. For now,' she said, still rubbing my back. I coughed a few times, trying to get my lungs to work again.

'It's not that. It's just that I don't have a good relationship with my mother and my father died recently.' I said, trying to get her to understand. 'And besides, isn't it a bit too early? I mean, what are we?' I went on, hoping she was as smitten as I was.

'Oh my god. I'm sorry?' she said, looking down awkwardly.

If you want to talk about it, you know where to find me. And to answer the other question, we are dating, aren't we?'

I nodded, feeling how my body heated up.

Dating. Yeah, I liked that word. I smiled and for the first time, I started talking about my dad, feeling like I could trust her.

'He died from a heart attack. It was very sudden, and he survived, but afterwards, he slowly deteriorated. I was the only one he talked to and trusted. He was a very stubborn man, not trusting anyone else after his wife cheated on him.' I said, thinking about my dad. I loved him to pieces, even though I didn't like his work.

He was a mediator and often he had gone to dangerous places. I had always feared he wouldn't be coming back and thought it was the job that would get him killed, but apparently, I was wrong. He silently and unceremoniously died at home.

And even on his deathbed, he was busy with work, telling me about his last contact. Making me swear I wouldn't just tell anyone. I didn't understand what was so important, but he made me swear.

He had given me a name and a code, telling me I could only tell this man what he told me. Saying that man would come to talk to me, but the weeks had gone by without a stranger appearing.

I felt warm arms wrapping around me.

Hugging me tightly. I sighed and melted into the body behind me. For the first time since my dad died, I felt safe again.