18. Surprise?

Freen Sarocha

I stared at the tiny pill in my hand palm. It was so small, but it would make such a ginormous difference.

Was I ready for it? No, not really. Giving her the love pill would cross the line from flirting with a purpose to cold hard manipulation. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

I had been doing that a lot lately, well, to be honest, since I met Becky. I let out a deep sigh. I had no choice.

Bzzz. My phone went off.

- I'm making a lasagna tonight. Wanna come over and help me eat it? —

I smiled at her text. Did I want to come over? Hell yeah. Maybe if I sped things up tonight, I wouldn't need the love pill and Songjet wouldn't have a chance. Not even a tiny one.

- Oh, yes, definitely. I love lasagna. Want me to bring something?

I sent back, already grabbing my keys and wallet to go to the store to pick up a bottle of wine and maybe grab some flowers. I liked it when guys brought something, so it seemed appropriate.

- No, just you. -

I smiled and continued walking out of my house to buy the wine and flowers. If they say nothing, you aren't supposed to really bring nothing.

Well, that's how I rolled anyway. Someone invites you to their home for dinner, you bring some sort of gift.

I stood in front of her house, flowers and a bottle of wine in one hand behind my back, the other pushed deep into my pocket, fingering the little box with the love pill in it.

I really hoped I'd never have to use it, but I had a feeling I was going to need it. I took in a deep breath, gathered my courage and calmed my nerves. I didn't want to screw this mission up.

I didn't want to blow up the thing I had with Becky and ...l didn't want to pee my pants.

Damn, I knew I should have gone to the bathroom before I left my house. I started hopping from one leg to another and let the bell ring impatiently. As soon as she opened the door, I almost stormed inside, well, almost.

'Hi BB, how are you? I don't want to be rude, but I really, really have to pee. I blabbered, still jumping up and down.

She smiled, shook her head and stepped aside to let me in. I rushed inside, gave her a quick kiss when I passed her by and ran inside the bathroom. I turned around a couple of times, looking for the best place to drop the flowers and the bottle of wine.

Sink. Floor. Sink. Floor. Aaaaargh. Sink it is. I placed the bottle and flowers in the sink and almost simultaneously dropped my pants.

Good gracious, this was so not the right moment to almost pee in my pants.

I stepped outside the bathroom, holding the flowers and walked towards the kitchen. Becky was running around, holding a spatula and a whisk in one hand and two wine glasses in the other. I grabbed her waist and pulled her close, stopping her in her tracks.

'BB, let me help. I offered, even though I was a terrible cook, but I could calm her down. I took the spatula and whisk out of her hand, looking at the whisk. 'Why would you even need that?'

She looked at the whisk, a confused look on her face. 'I have no clue.

I smiled and kissed her softly, pushing her against the countertop. I felt her smile against my lips and then she pulled away.

She gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and slipped under my arms.

'Wine? I have a nice bottle of red.' she said, placing the two wine glasses on the table and taking the bottle that stood on the counter. I nodded and suddenly remembered the flowers I was still holding. I awkwardly extended my arm and pushed the flowers in her face.