15. Time to Ask Questions

Rebecca Armstrong

My phone started buzzing. I looked and noticed it was Freen again. Two days ago, I would have picked up immediately, but some stuff that happened got me thinking.

That guy we met, Seng, he seemed like an ex, so that meant she had guy exes.

Fine, that wasn't really so hard to deal with, no, it was more what he said.

'Last year you said you were moving to Thailand?'

When I met her, she came to me about a breakup with her girlfriend. Since they had moved in, I'm assuming she didn't go to Thailand, came straight back and started a relationship with a girl? I know things go fast with girls, but that fast.

And besides, she said she had been living in her own apartment for years. Seng said 'moving' so it wasn't a holiday of some sort. If she moved to Thailand, she would have sold her place, right?

Maybe I was just paranoid. Maybe she told him a lie because she didn't want him to know she had a girlfriend. I could understand that I saw how he looked at us. Pure disgust on his face. Not a pretty sight.

'What happened? People change. I met Becky:

That was sweet, but she made it seem like I was her first. Thing is, she said she had a girlfriend before me. So, what was that about?

God, I couldn't wrap my head around it. I hoped I was making things up, but how sure was I?

Again, my phone started vibrating, again Freen. again, I let it go to voicemail.

What should I do? Maybe I should just ask her about it? Maybe there was a reasonable explanation.

Again, my phone went off. I sighed and looked at the screen. What should I do now? I knew I had to talk about it over the phone. It wasn't ideal, but if I did it face to face, I would melt because of the way she would look at me. And her kisses and touches made it impossible for my brain to think about something else than Freen.

Over the phone it was then. I would take the next call...

Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz.

Right on time. Instead of ignoring it, I pressed the green button.

'Hi, sweetie. Jesus, you had me worried for a while. You said you would call. And that was two days ago!' I heard her ramble, her concern pretty obvious. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, pushing myself to say something.

'I just needed some time to think. I said, not really sure how I had to start the conversation. It would most certainly sound like an accusation, and I didn't want to ruin anything.

"Think about what?'

'Stuff. I don't want to sound suspicious, but Seng, was it true what he said?'

Silence. I could almost hear her think.

'Yes and no. He really did think I was going to move to Thailand. At the time I didn't know a better way to deal with the situation.'

I let out a long, deep breath. So, she was lying to him. Was it better than lying to me? Yes. Was it still a very, big lie? Yes.

'But I rather discuss this in person. Can I come over later this evening?'

I closed my eyes, trying to get myself to say no, but the idea of Freen in my house was very appealing.

I... Yeah, why not. Say around 9?' I said, giving in to the temptation that was Freen.

'Great. I'll see you in a couple of hours, sweetie. I heard her say, a smile coloring her voice. I nodded. Shit.

When my doorbell rang, I was still running around in my house, lipstick and a pair of socks in one hand, my hair straightener in the other. Well, I had time for my lips, but not for my hair. Damn. Quickly I put on my lipstick and tied my hair in a loose ponytail. I ran to the door, jumping on one foot, trying to put my socks on.

'Hi. Come in. I said, trying not to sound like I just made a physical effort. In other words, trying not to breathe heavily. She smiled and stepped over the threshold.

Her hand lightly touching my waist when she passed by was enough to wake the butterflies up.

'You want something to drink?' I asked, pretending she was just a friend and not the girl I was falling for. Hard.

She nodded.

"There is some cold white wine in the fridge?' I proposed, while pointing to the couch. 'Have a seat.'

'White wine is good' Freen smiled, while sitting down on my couch, wiggling her perfect ass a bit, making herself comfortable. I looked away and started walking towards my fridge. I pulled the bottle out, while resting my head against the freezer, trying to keep my head cool.

Okay, so I was a bit literal, but at the moment I couldn't think of anything else. I took two wine glasses out, poured in the chilled wine and walked back towards my living room.

'Here you go. I said, while pressing the cold glass in her hand. She smiled and patted on the empty cushion. I sat down, trying not to let our bodies touch. She put her glass up, prompting me to clink it. But before our glasses touched, she pulled hers away.

'You have to look into each other's eyes.

Otherwise, seven years of bad sex. And we wouldn't want that, now, would we, BB?' she said, giving me her signature wink and cocky grin. I rolled my eyes, before looking into hers. She clinked her glass against mine, took a sip and kissed me on the nose. My eyes fluttered down, while the butterflies fluttered up.

God. Focus.

'I have to ask you some things'. I said, moving a little backwards, trying to ignore the sparks.

'Ask away, BB.'

'One year ago, you moved away to Thailand, or that's what you told Seng. And you told him that things had changed since you met me. But you came to me about your girlfriend, with whom you had moved in. And I'm guessing that relationship was longer than a year. So, what's the deal?' I asked, afraid of what she was going to tell me.

She had been telling lies, that was for sure, but I didn't know to whom.

To Seng? To her former girlfriend? Or to me?

'I can explain.'

Well, to say I was a bit curious was the understatement of the year.