32. Sparks

Rebecca Armstrong

It had been three days. Three hard days.

Ignoring Freen's messages was so difficult that it broke my heart all over again. Why couldn't she just leave me alone? Luckily, she stopped sending them after a couple of days and I only received a goodnight text. Not that that was easy.

Bzzzz. Bzzz.

I glanced at the clock. 11PM. Right on time.

I rolled over in my bed and snatched my cell from the nightstand.

- I just wanted to let you know that you have been on my mind. Are on my mind.

Goodnight, BB X -

I groaned and threw my phone away. I heard it crash somewhere on the floor, but I didn't care if it was broken. Actually, if it was broken, even better.

You have been on my mind.

Yeah, so had she. Since I was laying in my bed without any distractions, I knew that my mind was going to wander. Wander off and think about her. Fuck. It had already been three days, why did I still feel like this? Maybe she lied, maybe this stupid pill worked forever? Fuck, I really hope not.

I tossed and turned and finally sunk in a deep sleep.

The next morning, I woke up, feeling better than I ever had, compared to the last couple of days anyway. I stretched my body and felt remarkably well. Nice.

I happily turned on my belly and contentedly took in a deep whiff.

I immediately regretted my decision since a faint, but nonetheless, very familiar scent filled my nostrils. Freen.

'Let's do laundry!' I cheered, even surprising myself. I hated laundry but washing Freen's scent out of everything seemed like a terrific idea. I pulled off all my sheets and covers, threw them in a basket and almost skipped to my washing machine. I swiftly threw them all in and happily closed it. I filled it up with detergent, extra generously, and started the wash. I smiled when I could almost see Freen scent disappear.

I know, not possible, but whatever.

'Maybe I should just clean my house?' I asked, not entirely sure who I was asking. I shrugged, not caring and grabbed the broom.

Looks like today was spring cleaning day!

It was winter, but nobody cares!

Whistling I started sweeping the dust into a pile and almost did a little dance. Okay, now I'm even starting to freak myself out.

How does one go from a shitty, sad mood to a happy, happy place? Maybe the love pill had finally stopped working? Whatever, who cares anyway? Let's just keep cleaning. Where is the music?

I skipped towards my laptop and turned on my happy playlist. The music blasted out of the boxes, filling my house with a contagious beat. I cleaned my entire house while dancing and singing.

The evening fell and so did I. I fell down on my couch, tired but satisfied. My house smelled clean and fresh. No lingering scents of a certain ex-lover. I turned on the television and snuggled down in a blanket.

Immediately Freen's scent filled my nostrils, involuntary making me inhale her scent deeper. How did I miss this blanket?

Since there was nothing else smelling like her anymore, the scent on the blanket was even stronger than the ones before. I grabbed the blanket and walked towards my washing machine. I opened the door and attempted to throw in the blanket, but for some reason, my hand didn't want to let go of the source of the delicious smelling fabric. I bit down on my lip, forced myself to release the blanket in the washer and walked back towards my couch.