34. Spring

Rebecca Armstrong

- 4 Months and 7 Days Later -

Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz. Bzzz.

My phone started ringing and I lazily checked the caller ID. A grin stretched across my face, and I answered the call.

'Hello there, how are you doing today?' the familiar voice said, making me grin.

'I'm doing well, how are you?' I smiled while flipping through the newspaper.

'I'm fine, hey, listen up, it's been too long since I saw you?'

'That's true. What do you propose?' I asked, absentmindedly reading an article.

'Dinner. Tomorrow, at my place?'

I stood up from my couch and grabbed my purse.

'Hang on, let me check my calendar.' I muttered, trying to trap the phone between my shoulder and ear. Since that didn't work, I clumsily flipped the pages with one hand.

'I can do tomorrow.' I accepted, enjoying the opportunity to get out of the house. It had been way too long since I had any fun.

'Okay, I'll see you tomorrow, say around 7? Put on something cute!' I smirked and nodded my head, although I knew that you couldn't see that over the phone.

'Yeah, sure, sure. See you tomorrow, Manuel' I yawned and hung up.

Manuel had been checking in on me, making sure that I was alright, that I was taken care off. Since my father had died and Freen and I had broken up, he had been calling me almost every day. Mostly he just wanted to have a short, quick chat. I told him that he didn't have to call me every day, but he said it was his way of making sure that I knew that I was taken care off.

' Your father was my best friend. I was your favorite uncle up till the age of five. I promised him that I would never let anything bad happen to you.'

Oddly enough I found comfort in the fact that he kept that promise to my father.

That's what he promised my father and that's what he did. Not that he was trying to replace my dad, but he just made sure that I knew that I wasn't alone.

It was nice to have someone to share my grief with and to talk to about my dad.

After all, we both missed him and since we both didn't have any family, we kind of imprinted on each other.

I had a mother somewhere, but she didn't care enough about my dad or about me to even show up. He had an ex-wife some-where, but they never had any children.

It was nice to feel like I was part of something.

I grabbed my cell phone and opened the text Manuel had sent me. 

Lunar St. 

I looked around me, trying to find a street name. Good thing the evening was falling, and it was almost dark. That helped a bunch. Stupid map and stupid GPS. Ah, there, it was. I quickly walked towards it, already seeing the last of the name.

Solar St.

Damn. What's up with those stupid street names? Solar, lunar, what is this, a damn space station?

This was stupid. I pushed in Manuel's number and let out a frustrated groan. As soon as he picked up, I started ranting.

'Hi, Manuel, I'm standing in the Solar Street, I've been walking around for ages, and I have no idea where to find your stupid street. Any guidance?'