17. Weird Day

Rebecca Armstrong

I was standing in front of a shop, looking at a gorgeous dress. A beautiful, tiny, black dress. With a beautiful, not so tiny price.

Shame...

Anyway, trying it on doesn't cost any money. I walked into the store, took the dress and walked into the changing room. I tried on the dress, turned 360° trying to spot a mirror and noticed there wasn't any. I pulled the curtain open, stepped outside and walked towards the giant mirror hanging next to the changing rooms.

'Pretty dress. Even prettier lady.'

I turned around and saw a woman staring at me, obviously checking me out. I thanked her and slowly started walking back in the changing room, a bit confused.

When I walked out later, she was still sitting in the group of chairs the stores put there, for the bored husbands, reading a magazine.

'Are you buying it?' the woman asked, again trying to start a conversation. I shook my head, laughed politely and hung the dress away.

'Shame. You looked very hot.' she complimented me, making me uncomfortable.

Again, her eyes travelled up and down, finally resting on my face and winking.

'Thank you?' I said, taking a better look at her. She had dark brown hair, a pair of brown eyes and very high cheekbones. She was cute. I had to admit that. Cute but a bit creepy.

'Anyway, do you want to have coffee sometime?' she suddenly said, looking me dead in the eye. I nervously swallowed.

'Errr...That's very nice, but I'm currently seeing someone.' I stated, thinking about Freen. Her shiny, black hair and her beautiful set of brown eyes. Her flawless skin, her white teeth, her long legs.

'With me?'

I snapped out of my daydreaming. What had she been saying? I only heard the last bit of her sentence. She was looking at me with big, hopeful eyes. I chuckled nervously, trying hard to not look completely confused.

'I'm sorry, I didn't catch that.' I apologized to her, thinking about a way to end this conversation fast, but politely.

'If you are sure, you don't want to grab a coffee. It's just coffee,' she said, repeating her sentence. Or that's what I assumed because I'm not sure what she said the first time. I smiled and shook my head in an obvious no gesture.

She shrugged her shoulders, smiling like it didn't matter but I saw that the smile didn't reach her eyes.

'Errr...Okay. Anyway, nice talking to you?' I said, finishing the awkward conversation, turning my back and walking to the exit.

Awkward.

A bit later I stood in line, waiting to buy coffee when someone tapped on my shoulder. I turned around, looking straight in two gorgeous, chocolate brown eyes.

'Excuse me, but you are standing on my foot. the woman said, pointing at our feet, my foot clearly standing on hers. I quickly stepped away, swallowing a lump of embarrassment.

'Oh my, I'm so very sorry. My bad.' I excused myself, turning beet red.

The woman gave me a cocky grin, still looking in my eyes. 'No problem. You can make it up to me.' the woman said, winking at me.

'Buy me a coffee and sit with me.' she continued, placing her one hand on my arm and pointing with the other one to a free table.

I nodded, still feeling a bit guilty from stepping on her foot. Who knows how long I had been standing on it.

After we got our coffees, we walked towards a table and sat down. She extended her hand.

I'm Songjet, by the way,' she introduced herself, smiling warmly. I took her hand, shaking it and noticing how soft it was. I introduced myself, while pulling my hand back and shoving it deep in my pocket.

Damn, that was one very beautiful lady.

We chatted for a while, having some light conversation. She was also gay, had been single for a couple of years and was working as an assistant in a drugstore. Come to think of it, I had actually no clue what Freen did for a living. I mean, I had asked her about it, and she had given me a vague answer.

Something like a secretary of a worker in a big company. She had made it sound like a boring, unimportant job, but she never told me what she really did.

Actually, there were a lot of big, general things I didn't know about her. I did know some very personal things. Like that her favorite color was red, that she liked cats over dogs, that she had a soft spot right underneath her left ear and that she would softly moan when I placed a hickey in her neck. But what exactly she did for work, where she lived, her past relationships, ...I knew the big lines, but she never told me any details.

Maybe I should invite her over and subtly bring up those topics and get me some real answers. I pulled out my cell and started texting Freen, casually inviting her over for dinner.

'Ahem.' Songjet coughed awkwardly, trying to gain my attention back. I felt my cheeks go red again, this time colored by shame. I completely forgot about her. Oops.

'Sorry, I kind of have an appointment. I have to go, actually' I lied. Although I had been enjoying Songjet's company, my head was filled with Freen.

'Oh. Okay. Yeah, sure. Can I get your number?' Songjet asked, looking at me expectantly.

'I'm kind of dating someone...' I cautiously told her, feeling a bit guilty that I hadn't told her that immediately.

'I didn't ask you to date me, I asked for your number.' she smiled, shaking her head in amusement, making me smile too. It wouldn't hurt, I guess. I nodded and wrote my number down on a napkin.

I know, cliché, but who cares anyway.

I stood up, waved goodbye and walked out of the coffee shop. What a weird day.

First, the woman in the clothes shop who started complimenting me and trying to make a conversation.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure she was hitting on me. Then later that day Songjet, who also showed interest. How bizarre. Not unpleasant, but not pleasant either. Just weird. Whatever, I shook my head, already bored and not interested anymore.

Halfway to my car, my phone beeped. It was, as I hoped, an incoming text from Freen confirming that she wanted to come over.

For the first time that day, I smiled a genuine smile.

Ooff Becky is also in love  hahahahha :)) Sana All