LXXV. The World Stops Turnin'

As Carl takes her hand, Madeleine can't help but frown, a bittersweet wave of nostalgia washing over her

As Carl takes her hand, Madeleine can't help but frown, a bittersweet wave of nostalgia washing over her. Beside them, Esperanza links her hand with Carl's as she cradles Judith in her arms. The sight of her siblings feels oddly familiar, reminiscent of countless outings Madeleine had with Carl as children, led by their father riding beside them. The memory of those carefree days tugs at Madeleine's heart, a reminder of the innocence they had.

In a comforting silence, the four of them make their way towards the nearby lake, its serene surface reflecting the golden hues of the afternoon sun. As they reach the water's edge, Carl and Esperanza waste no time in skipping rocks across the tranquil expanse, their laughter mingling with Judith's joyful giggles.

Madeleine watches from a distance, a bittersweet smile tugging at her lips as she observes her siblings, their carefree demeanor a stark contrast to the harsh reality of what's coming.

After a while, they decide to have a competition of archery, Carl and Esperanza arguing of who's the best archer after Madeleine. Retrieving the bow and arrows hidden nearby, Madeleine takes on the role of instructor, guiding Carl with patience and determination, like old times.

As he takes aim, she can't help but feel a surge of pride at how far he has grown, as Esperanza engulfs them with stories of how she wanted to be Robin Hood when she was younger. Together, they lose themselves in the rhythm of the people in the background getting ready for the fight, the rhythmic twang of bowstrings and the thud of arrows hitting their targets providing a distraction of everything.

As they walk back to their house, laughter fills the air, echoing through the streets like a melody of joy. With excitement in their hearts, they gather around the pillar at the entrance of their house, each of them dipping their hands into pots of vibrant paint. The air is filled with the sound of laughter and chatter as they press their hands onto the pillar, leaving behind colorful handprints that serve as a tangible symbol of their love.

After a couple of minutes Judith's laughter fills the air, a sense of warmth and contentment washes over the porch where Madeleine and Esperanza sit side by side. Madeleine's arm instinctively wraps around her sister, pulling her close in a gesture of comfort and affection.

Esperanza leans into her sister's embrace, a smile playing at the corners of her lips as she revels in the simple joy of the moment. The sound of Judith's giggles and Carl's playful antics fills her with a sense of euphoria.

With each peal of laughter, Esperanza's spirit feels lighter, as if the weight of the world has been lifted from her shoulders. She watches with a twinkle in her eye as Judith tries to hide behind the tree, only to be found by Carl with a playful grin.

Esperanza's smile widens as she gazes at Carl and Judith, her heart swelling with gratitude for the precious moment they're sharing. "I always wanted to experience moments like this," she admits, her voice filled with awe and wonder.