19) broken glass

"Well, where is he" Hazel asked walking to Scott when suddenly they heard a cane and looked to see Deucalion.

"Never mind" Hazel said. "Either of you know the term for what I'm doing" Deucalion asked.

"Echolocation" Scott said. "You did your homework" Deucalion said. "Yeah, I looked a few things up" Scott said when Deucalion interrupted.

"And now you think you can learn in just one day what took me years to master" Deucalion said.

"All we're hoping for is a few highlights just enough to survive" Hazel said. "Yeah, or anything that can help us fight the Anuk-ite without looking at it" Scott said.

"Fighting blind is one thing you haven't even learned to walk yet, and orientation and mobility specialist has to practice blindfolded with a white cane for at least a hundred and twenty hours before becoming certified I can't teach you to walk and fight in less than twenty-four" Deucalion said.

"Look we know the odds are bad, but Gerard's got an army there's a creature that can scare ordinary people into becoming killers" Scott said.

"The creature now capable of killing you with just a look" Deucalion said. "You saw them didn't you" Deucalion asked. "We saw people turn to stone" Hazel said.

"So why aren't all of you running for your lives" Deucalion asked. 

"Because we don't run" Scott said. "Now that sounds like an alpha let's get started" Deucalion said.

>>>

"Unfortunately, there's one crucial difference to teaching you how to fight blind" Deucalion said.

"We're not really blind" Scott said. "Okay and that matters because" Hazel asked.

"Unless you spend the next few days walking around wearing a blindfold all the Anuk- ite really has to do is get you to open your eyes" Deucalion said.

"Then we keep our eyes shut" Hazel said. "You think it's that easy what happens to your eyes when you're afraid" Deucalion asked.

"They open wide" Scott said. "To gather more, light and send more data to the brain so you can better handle whatever threat lies in front of you" Deucalion said.

"Okay fine it's gonna be a lot harder than I thought" Hazel said. "But not impossible" Scott said.

"Especially when it's your help" Hazel told Deucalion. "What's next" Scott asked.

"In schools for the blind it's called sleep shade training we'll use regular blindfolds, and we'll start with echolocation" Deucalion said and gave Scott and Hazel a blindfold. "Sound" Scott said.

"Then I'll show you how to use thermoception" Deucalion said. "Heat" Hazel said. "Equilibrioception" Deucalion said.

"Balance" Scott said. "And proprioception" Deucalion said. "Pressure" Hazel said.  "Go ahead" Deucalion said and Scott and Hazel put the blindfolds on.

>>>

"Normal humans use echo location by creating sounds like clicking the tongue against the roof of the mouth since your hearing is a hundred times more powerful you can pick up natural reflected sounds" Deucalion said and banged his cane on the wall.

"I definitely heard that" Scott said. "But does it tell you where I am" Deucalion asked.

"Don't listen for me listen for the echo for the sound reflections yes it to find me" Deucalion said. 

He used his cane to bang in the wall again walking away. "You both have superior hearing" Deucalion said and Hazel and Scott faced him.

"You need to focus it like a weapon" Deucalion said and banged his cane on the wall walking away once again. Scott and Hazel then went to find Deucalion.