𝟏𝟗.

── ✦ ──

An alarm sounded throughout the institute, and Alec, Chloe, and a group of shadowhunters entered the control room, which was glowing red.

- I thought the wards were safe - Aldertree said and looked at Chloe and then at Alec.

- How many soldiers do we have? - Alec asked.

- Two dozen. They're all in town dealing with Downworlder attacks - Aldertree replied, and the other night hunters began to approach them.

- We will guard the entrance - Chloe said.

- And we will guard the armory - Victor said and started walking away with a group consisting of several shadowhunters.

- Is this Valentine's doing? - The shadowhunter asked as they walked towards the entrance to the Institute.

Alec walked next to his wife because he wanted to protect her and their unborn children from Valentine and his followers. Chloe held the seraph blade in her hand.

- There's one way to find out - Alec replied, and the door separating the entrance from the Institute opened on its own. Chloe had a bad feeling, and moments later Madzie walked through the door. The group saw 3 dead bodies of night hunters.

- Stop - Chloe ordered, and the shadowhunters obeyed her and just stared at Madzie.

- What's a little girl doing here? - Asked the night hunter standing next to Alec.

- She's a witch - Alec replied and lowered his gun. He and Chloe walked over to Madzie.

- Hey, Madzie, are you... - Chloe started to say, a smile on her face.

Moments later, Madzie raised her hand and with her magic pushed Chloe and Alec into the elevator, which was standing a few meters away from them.

- Don't shoot, it's a child - A shadowhunter said before the elevator closed. Chloe and Alec heard the shadowhunters screaming in pain.

- Madzie! - Alec shouted as he tried to get out of the elevator. - Are you okay, honey? - Alec asked when he saw Chloe standing and staring at the elevator door.

- She killed them - Chloe replied, terrified. Alec kissed her forehead and hugged her.

── ✦ ──

Chloe and Alec got out of the elevator. The man was talking on the phone and holding a weaponin his free hand.

- Alec, what's going on? Is Chloe with you? - Jace asked worriedly over the phone as they began to move through the control room, looking out for Valentine's men.