Chapter 18

BRIDGERTON fanfic
By myself

BRIDGERTON fanficBy myself

────────────
[ currently ... ]
Labyrinth

The next evening a, ball was being hosted in honor for Anthony for some reason Ester was not too sure of. Probably because he was finally courting for a wife to miss Edwina.

Ester as of now was having her light brown hair styled by her maid aurora. Using a brush made from boar hair. She looked at the mirror where she had a sapphire necklace around her neck, her outfit was a shade of light blue to match.

"—miss?" Aurora snaps her out of her thoughts as she snaps her head behind and at her maid, "oh! Yes, let's go!" She sputters out as she gets up while she rushes out to go ahead and go to the dance.

And once she did she sneaked in unnoticed thankfully where she lets a breath as she was approached by a lord, "miss bridgerton, may i have your first dance?" The lord... benet. Yes, asks of her, and she nods.

"It would be my pleasure, Lord benet" she curtsies as she takes the man's hand while she stood across from him. Feeling the eyes of her mama and lady dabury, though she ignores it.

She saw a glimpse of her twin dancing with a man as she began to dance with the man as do others that surrounded the place. She even felt the gaze from Lord coltan— which she does her best to focus on the conversation lord benet starts up.

"Have you read of Lady whistledown as of late?" The tall ginger gentleman asks, and she nods lightly, "yes i have, have you?" She asks politely, "of course. It is a necessary to learn of what is happening in society." He replies as they move around the place side to side.

"Yes, it is" she replies while having a tight smile while she notices her mother and her sister fighting it seems, and she stops her focus on the man, to look at her sister, "—like singing, or painting to attract a suitor, i am— i... know, i am a disappointment to you, and i could never be like Ester, so just allow me to take my leave and go to bed."

Ester's eyes widen as her jaw slacks, looking at her sister, when she felt a sharp pain in her feet as she immediately backed away from the lord as she felt pain in her toes after he stepped on them rather painfully. His dark ginger brows shoot up as she hisses as she gave the lord a painful look, "oh my! Are you alright miss bridgerton?" He stutters.

"I— am just fine, i must go" she spins as she turns away as she sees penelope try to talk to eloise as she runs up the stairs and off sights, and when she went after eloise and managed to grab eloise by her wrist, the brunette snaps her head at ester.

"Eloise, are you alright? I heard what you said to mama, did that man you were dancing say something?—"

"Do not act like you worry!" Eloise snaps, snatching her wrist away from ester, and her eyes widen at the sudden accusation from eloise.

"Eloise..." ester takes her hand away as Eloise let shaky breaths out, "go back to the ball and be mama's favorite! I do not need my perfect twin sister to patronize me!" Eloise seethes as she turns and storms away, Ester can only remain speechless as she felt her eyes water as she swallows thickly as she backs away and walks down the steps, her mama coming to her quickly.

"Ester, what did eloise say to you??" Her mama asks quickly, and Ester sniffs as she looks at her mama with a false smile, "she told me she is just tired" she shakes her head as she lies to her mama's face, who gives her a frowned look, "i'll be on the dance floor now" she turns to go, "ester, why don't you dance with Lord coltan? Do you not enjoy talking to him?" Her mama suggests.

Ester straightens up, "no. Now, i'll go on" she turns to leave the conversation with her mama as she gets on the floor, and as she went ahead and grabbed a lemonade as she went to drown it, she felt a presence and she turned to see the man she didn't want to talk too.

"Lord Coltan!" She says lightly as her jaw slacks, "glad you remember my name, Miss bridgerton" he jokes, and she cracks just a small smile. She looks at the lemonade again, trying to avoid looking at his eyes, which he notes.

He takes one step forward, "is something the matter?" He asks, his voice soft and in worry as he kept the conversation quiet as soft music was going on. The words and people's talking were drowned out in her ears.

She looks across his face as she grabs him by the wrist suddenly, making his brows shoot up as she turns as she pulls the lord to a corner near the french styled doors that led to the outside garden.

"Miss bridgerton?"

"Tell me... will you ever actually court me?" She asks in a harsh whisper, looking around his tanned face. He tries to make a reply, yet he couldn't. Instead he looked more like a fish out of water due to his gaping mouth, "i—" he goes to say when she rips her hand back and have it hang limpy to her side.

She has some shaky inhales, her chest raising. She flicks her eyes close for a moment before they open with tears in her eyes, her brows lightly knitted as she takes a step back, "i see then. I have your answer. Good day, lord coltan." She lightly curtsies as she turns as she walks past him and through the crowd as she tries to not bump in.

"Miss bridgerton!" He calls out as he goes to follow after her when a flock of girls crowd him, fluttering their lashes and hiding their lower faces behind a fan.

He stands on his toes as he sees her disappear up a staircase, her mama seems to have not seen that her daughter fled the place. "Miss bridgerton!" He shouts again, yet she never looks back.

1054 words