Chapter 29

BRIDGERTON fanfic
By myself

BRIDGERTON fanficBy myself

────────────
[ currently ... ]
Labyrinth

Arriving at the ball, ester was adjusting her forearm length white colored gloves. She wore a light torquise dress. There were whispers from the crowd, and she watches as eloise get taken away from their mama who told her she does not disappoint her.

Their mama and anthony left while she and Colin had their arms hooked, "i see miss cowper. Goodbye" and colin left her before she could butt in, and she sighs disappointed.

And the whispers got worse when miss Edwina and miss kate— who woke up yesterday, arrived. When suddenly, ester was approached by lord benet, and she curtsies, "lord benet." She greets the man.

"Such a pity of what had happened. And i must apologize for my... absence. I've been busy with work, miss bridgerton, would you care for a dance?" The boring man asks of her, and she nods as she holds her hand out for him to take, "i'd love too" she gives the man a polite smile

The man smiles as he takes her hand and they begin the dance, though the lord continued to step on her toes, which she had to force her face not to cringe each time he stepped on her with his dark boots.

And thankfully, the dance ended, and before he could ask her again, a certain lord appeared, "lord benet, miss bridgerton" lord coltan greets to them, and the two of them turn to him.

"I would like if i could dance with miss bridgerton if that would be fine" lord coltan forces a smile towards lord benet, which ester did towards both men— lord coltan more so at least.

"I... i suppose. Miss bridgerton, Lord coltan.." lord benet gives a false smile to the man that was of higher ranking, before bowing to miss bridgerton after taking her hand and kissing her on the knuckles just lightly before just bowing his head to lord coltan before walking off heated.

Ester snaps her attention to him, having a polite smile while glaring meanly at lord coltan, "Lord coltan, i believe i was dancing with Lord benet" she grits out bitterly while having a forced smile over her lips.

Lord coltan laughs breathesly before taking a step closer, and ester took one before lightly curtsing, "i believe i am quite parched" she turns to leave, but he caught up with her quickly, "I'm parched as well it seems" he smirks-grins while looking down at her, yet she just glared at him.

She grabs the man by the hand and leads him to the side, glaring at the man, "i am a lady, but you are getting on my nerves. Do you honestly think I wont be a little heated that you, just like the rest of the ton, ignored our family because of a scandal my sister committed?" She seethes out, and his eyes widened just lightly while his lips were parted.

Her eyes roam his face, "honestly, i thought you... you were going to be different" she scoffs as she swallows thickly, and before she goes to leave but he grabbed her by the hand, his hands brushing against her fingers, and she turns towards him.

"I apologize for not showing up. I was in a time of mourning, my mother has passed." He tells her, and her eyes go wide as her lips parted, "oh my! I— i did not know, i'm—" she sputters over her words, suddenly feeling guilty.

She bows her head, "i'm so sorry—" he stops her words, "don't feel sorry. You didn't know, i don't blame you. And don't tell anyone this but... she was quite wicked, her death was probably warmer than her personality" he whispers the end to her, and from the joke she let a loud laugh out, catching attention around her while she slapped a hand over her mouth.

Lord coltan laughs, ester lowers her hand, "lord coltan, i'm sorry for laughing" she apologizes, but she still had some snickers, he shakes his head. "No worries, miss bridgerton. I truly aren't hurt" he tells her, "still. I feel sorry for judging you..." she looks down.

"It's quite fine. Don't fret, you're still my friend. Even if you see me as only a friendly-acquaintance" he tells her, and there was silence between them, and her eyes turn to the dance floor.

"Though... i believe you still owe me that favor" he says, and her brows shoot up in recognition of back in the beginning of the season where she told him that she'll do a favor, which she remembers she still hasn't done it.

"Ah— well... alright. Since i feel sorry for being judgmental of you my lord. What do you want me to do?" She asks him, and he hums before holding his hand out, "i'd love if you'd so me the favor of dancing with me" he smiles, and she blinks in surprise.

"That's what your favor is?" She asks in disbelief as well as surprised, and he nods. "That's correct" he smiles charmingly, and she swallows thickly before nodding, "okay. I'll do your favor" she nods as he smiles as he leads her to the floor where kate and anthony were dancing together.

She takes her right hand and place it on his extended arm that's hand was placed on her back, his bare hand touching against her slightly bare back while she puts her other hand on his other arm where he places his hand on her waist and they began to dance.

As the dance progressed, her eyes were connected with his own eyes and it was a comfortable silence between them before the dance finally stops, and she looks at him, "i— I'm going to get refreshments" she turns, and before he could get her— she had disappeared in the crowd as lady featherington said that she had a surprise for them all.

Lord coltan was standing as his lips parted, breathing tightly. Remembering how her bare back felt with his bare hands, or how she breathed ever so lightly. Or her beautiful blue eyes that looked under her thick lashes.

"Are you not going to go out, Lord coltan?" The sound of the queen snapped him out and he turns as he bows his head deeply, "yes. I simply just got distracted" he says as he turns as he leaves to go see the surprise.

Ester stops as she lets a heavy breath as she stood near to miss Prudence, when she felt a similar presence— a slight smile comes on her face, and she looks up to see Lord benet instead, it slipped down before she puts on a polite smile as she curtsies, "lord benet. What a pleasure to see you again" she greets to him as she raises as he smiles at her

"Me as well. For a moment, i thought i lost you too lord Coltan for a moment, thankfully i didn't." He laughs, and she just nods while smiling politely, not warmly, but only politely.

"Yes, thankfully" and then, there was fireworks setted off in the distance, and she looks over in awe at the colors and sizes, she even clapped at the very large ones or the colorful ones, looking at it in awe. Lord benet watches as well, making boring conversation with ester who nods along as well.

And as they watch, lord coltan watched in the back— though instead of looking at the fireworks, he only looked at Ester's back as lord benet holds out his arm for ester to do, and she takes it. Hooking her arm around it while looking up. At the sight, Lord coltan's head was lowered before turning around and walking away.

And he never looks back, yet ester looks over her shoulder, expecting to see him, yet he wasn't.

He doesn't look back.

And eventually, she stops looking. And she looks away.

~ end of season 2 ~
until next season, dear reader