Chapter 1

"I would challenge you to a battle of wits, but I see you are unarmed."

-William Shakespeare.

The sweet scent of perfume, soft violin music, and a wonderful dream to go along with it. This magnificent scene is almost perfect, if it weren't for the violent shaking of the body. "WAKEE UPPP!" a loud voice screamed. The sound reverberated all the way to Setsuna's eardrums, nearly bursting them. Her eyes shot open as she gasped. She stared at the person who shook her for a good three seconds. Suddenly, she was pushed onto the ground, landing on her butt. "You have some guts don't you?" the person demanded.

"M-Megumi..." Setsuna gulped at the sight of her dear center. "I-Is it already time?"

"You bet it is! How dare you sleep at a time like this? I haven't heard of any captains being late for practice, yet you dare sleep here when we have the nationals coming up so soon?" Megumi shouted. Setsuna laughed guiltily while scratching the back of her head. The next thing she knew a fist was implanted on her head. With a cry of pain, the girl clutched her head in pain. Megumi rubbed her fist and sighed. "Hurry up, Bacaptain (Short for Baka Captain)," the blonde haired girl said bitterly before turning away and leaving the room.

Setsuna pouted as she stood up and grabbed her bag. The girl with snow colored hair walked out of her classroom and dashed for the changing room. As captain of the basketball team, she's supposed to be on time at all practices.....well, that would be the case if she were at any other school though. The school she attends, Himura All Girls Academy, is a prestigious school set up to bring up noble and high classed ladies to become worthy of the society. Part of their curriculum is also bride training. Even though the school's main purpose is to raise the girls as ladies, sports and exercise are also an important aspect of the school life. In fact, it's also considered a sports powerhouse.

Setsuna arrived at the gym, panting. All the girls in the gym then raised their heads and stopped from what they were doing. All eyes were laid on the white haired girl. Setsuna shouted, "What are you guys stopping for? Continue practicing. We can't let our guards down. The nationals are so close! We have to win no matter what this year!"

"Says the person who's late to practice," a voice muttered, sending a shot down Setsuna's spine. She turned to the person who last spoke.

"I-I'M SORRY OKAY?! YUMI YOU'RE TOO STRICT!" Setsuna complained guiltily with tears in her eyes. All the girls in the gym laughed at the uselessness of their captain.

"Yumi, the captain is very busy, it's no wonder that she'd be tired in the day. After all, she's not like us. Right captain?" a dark brown haired girl laughed. Setsuna gave her a grateful smile and pounced on the girl, giving her a hug.

"THANK YOU SO MUCH KAORI!!!!" Setsuna shouted like a baby while engulfing her teammate in a bear hug. Kaori then started panicking and tried to shake the girl off, but couldn't. This caused another laughter to rise among the girls in the gym.

"I still can't believe that's our captain," one of the third year students said.

"Agreed," said another.

"But you have to admit, nobody else can make a better captain than Setsu-chan," another girl said. People nodded in understanding. That's right. Among the girls of the basketball team, there is only one person they respect the most, and that is their captain. After a while, Setsuna regained composure and started the training drills. Back then, before Setsuna joined the basketball team of the middle school division of the academy, everyone were laid back and lack determination and goals. Setsuna changed everything. When she arrived, she brought the fun of the game and showed everyone that basketball wasn't just a sport for exercise. It was also a fun game.

When Setsuna became captain, everyone took an oath. Setsuna made everyone swear that once they enter the gym, they will throw away everything: status, manners, reputation, and forget that they are noble girls. They will play with the heart of athletes. Since then, people followed Setsuna's example even in the high school division. Setsuna was respected all over campus.

After practice, everyone headed home. Setsuna walked home. It was summer, so the night air wasn't cold, but still chilly. Setsuna smiled as she crossed the busy street. She liked Tokyo, because it was always packed no matter what time. It made her feel safe in a way. People would often give her weird looks due to her school uniform. They would never have expected a rich young lady to be walking on the street at this time of the day. "Where is her chauffeur?" they'd ask. The truth is, she doesn't have one.

Setsuna's school tuition is provided by her father, who owns the famous Hakuya Computer Software Company, but Setsuna lives with her mother, who is divorced with her father. Her mother doesn't have a very good job, and has a hard time supporting her, but even so, Setsuna refuses to live with her father.

A lot of people lurk in the alleyways during this time of the day. They constantly stare at Setsuna, wanting to make a move and steal her stuff, but are too scared to. Last time someone actually tried to mug her, bad things happened.

Setsuna arrived home safely. She opened the door to her house and announced, "I'm home!" There was no response from the room. I guess she's working late today, she thought. The girl then entered the kitchen and opened the fridge. Inside, there lies one of those bento boxes that you can buy at the convenient stores. On it, was a note.

Setsu-chan,

Sorry, I'm working late today. Heat this up and eat it. I'll be late so don't wait for me and go to sleep. You must be tired from practice. Go take a shower after dinner and take a break!

-Mommy

Setsuna smiled at the note. She took the bento box and heated it up in the microwave. She ate her dinner in silence, until someone rung the doorbell. Setsuna knew who it was and stood up to open the door, but the door opened. The person who rung the doorbell invited himself inside the house. Setsuna then sat down and continued her dinner. "Hi," the person greeted. Setsuna nodded in response. She pointed to her mouth, which was full of food. "Oh, is it good?"

"So so," Setsuna responded after swallowing. "So do you need anything?" Her guest shook his head and sat down at her table. "You sure? Don't you need some help with homework Tetsuya?"

"No, I'm good today."

"Heh? If you insist," Setsuna then shoved more food into her mouth. The boy in front of her, Tetsuya, just stared. His name is Kuroko Tetsuya. This young boy with light blue hair happens to be Setsuna's next door neighbor and childhood best friend. The two of them would usually hang out together at night, and Setsuna would help him with homework. Kuroko is a very interesting kid. They used to play basketball together, and still do, just not as much as before. Kuroko isn't a very talented basketball player, but he has his own talent that he uses as a weapon in basketball. Kuroko plays for Teiko Middle School, which is a school with a strong basketball team.

This year, Kuroko will be participating in the Nationals as well. Last year, Teiko got champion, and so did Himura. Sharing these similarities bonded the two friends even more. Setsuna holds Kuroko dearly and treats him as a brother. Kuroko then treats Setsuna as a sister. Both of them are the only child of their family, so having each other as company really makes them happy.