Chapter 24

The sound of markers gliding across the whiteboard squeaked nonstop. The sound of the teacher's lecture traveled through one ear and out the other. The summer blaze was still evident, but obviously not as strong as it was during mid-July. Now it's the end of August. Soon, Autumn will come. Setsuna twirled her pencil around her fingers as she thought about the upcoming season. There's really nothing to do for her except train with her basketball club. If she wanted she could get her high school diploma right now. She has the skill. There was no point in studying in class here anymore. However, Setsuna refused to tell her father about this, fearing that he'd seriously kick her out of high school and send her to college.

"...san! HAKUYA-SAN!" a loud voice screamed.

"Huh?!" Setsuna flinched, dropping her pencil. Just as she was about to bend down and reach for her poor pencil, a hand slammed itself on her desk. No, it was her teacher who slammed his hand on her desk. Why was a male teacher working in an all girls school anyway?

"You have some nerves for not paying attention in my class Hakuya-san," he hissed. This teacher, Shinomiya Mashiro, is a very young teacher, and very passionate with his work. He comes from a family line of professors. This young teacher teaches English. He was born and raised in the States, and after college, came back to Japan to teach. Among Setsuna's many teachers, this one is the most troublesome. "Now stand at the back of the classroom!"

"Ehhhh?" Setsuna panicked. She hates standing. The teacher always picks on the standing student. Her classmates already started chuckling. This wasn't a rare occurrence. Setsuna often gets in trouble for not paying attention in class. No one can really blame her, but the teachers always like to use her to discipline other students. Setsuna pouted as she stood up from her desk and walked to the back of the room.

"Shinomiya-sensei is as cool as always," Setsuna heard a classmate whisper as she walked past her.

"But he seems to always pick on Setsuna-chan," another said.

"Well, she's the only one who disobeys him," the first one replied. Setsuna sighed. Sure, her teacher is young and in his prime, but she honestly doesn't see anything appealing from this particular teacher. He's nitpicky, loud, scary, and really flirty when he's with some of his favorite students. She shivered at the memory of him trying to flirt with Tsukihiro but got ignored. Man, can't this day pass by any slower?

\(*T▽T*)/

"Good work!" Setsuna shouted as her teammates left the gym one by one. Shiori and the first years stayed behind to clean up all the basketballs lying on the ground. Kaori was picking them up one by one, but when she stacked too many in her hand, she lost balance and they all fell to the ground.

"Kaori you clutz! Can't you even do your job right?!" Megumi lectured. Setsuna chuckled. At least she's not the clutz today. Just as she thought that, she stepped on a basketball that rolled to her feet from where Kaori dropped it. Setsuna slipped backwards and the basketball cart she was pushing was now pushed out of her hand and it slid straight for the wall. Setsuna fell with a giant thud, followed by another crashing sound from the cart she was pushing.

"CAN'T ANY OF YOU DO ANYTHING RIGHT?!" Megumi screamed loudly.

"S-Sorry," Setsuna apologized as she wiped the pain from her butt as she stood.

"You okay Captain?" Tsukihiro walked over with three basketballs in her hands.

"Y-Yeah! Ow," Setsuna hissed in pain. "Thanks Tsukki. You're the only one who cares about me nowadays."

"Hey Bacaptain!" Haruka, a third year, called out from the door. "Your boyfriend is here to pick you up!"

"Setsuna-chan you have a boyfriend?!" everyone in the gym except Haruka shouted.