Chapter 16

Last day!

Everyone woke up in surprise. It was seven or eight and no one was there to wake them up with a bullhorn or a gong.

Akashi woke up fairly early, around six. He went to the kitchen to make some breakfast for himself, only to find Setsuna there. She was drinking coffee while typing away on her computer. At this time, they were probably the only people awake. He walked in on her. "Good morning," he greeted.

"Ah! Morning!" Setsuna greeted back in surprise. She looked outside. "Whoa! It's already daybreak! Man, time flies!"

"Did you stay up all night again?" Akashi asked as he poured himself a cup of water. Setsuna shook her head.

"I woke up at four to work on this project, so I got a decent amount of sleep already," she explained. Akashi closed in on her and her computer. He leaned down to see her coding. It was a very complex coding, one that he was not familiar with. Noticing his presence, Setsuna smiled and explained, "This is a special type of coding used specific for games. I'm currently working on game development. Are you familiar with dating sim games?"

"I certainly am aware of it," Akashi replied.

"I'm currently working with a dating sim company to develop a more complex game," Setsuna said. As she continued to talk about her game, Akashi noted the gleam in her eyes. It was as if she really did enjoy what she was doing. She's truly passionate about programming, the same way as how she's passionate about basketball.

"I thought you didn't like set rules," he said.

"Programming is like art. There is a set way to do things, but there are infinite outcomes. Sure, it's boring to be typing codes all the time, but after you see the product, it's all worth it!" Setsuna said. Akashi nodded understandingly. It's so strange. Whenever he's with her, he felt so comfortable, so relatable, and yet he felt so intrigued. They were the same, yet they were opposites. He didn't really know how to classify their relationship anymore.

"Are you hungry?" he asked.

"Um.... No," Setsuna replied hesitantly. Just after she said that, a loud growl made its way out of her stomach. Setsuna averted her gaze away from Akashi, her cheeks pink with embarrassment. Akashi smiled.

"I'll make us something. Sit tight," he said.

"I'll help!" Setsuna offered as she started to get up until Akashi pushed her back down. His hands were on her shoulders, holding her firmly. His hands were warm, and gentle. Setsuna blushed at the touch of his fingers. Kuroko has held her shoulders many time, but Setsuna's never gotten that kind of reaction.

"You work on your game. That's an order," Akashi told her. He then leaned in close to her ear and whispered, "You know what happens to people to defy me." A chill ran down Setsuna's spine as Akashi released her and went to the counter to make something. Setsuna obediently sat and typed away. A strange forced smile was plastered on her face as her eyes were wide with surprise and fear. Previously, she didn't fear Akashi at all; however, ever since he took care of her last time, she's starting to feel more and more uncomfortable around Akashi. Something inside her is tell her to stay away, and another part is telling her to get close to him. She suppressed the pounding of her most important muscle forcefully and took a deep breath.

Calm down. Akashi is Akashi. There's nothing to it. Suddenly, Setsuna realized something. Her body froze as she tried to make through the situation. This pounding of the heart, this kind of flustering, this kind of nervousness, this kind of feeling that you don't want to screw up in front of him... It's as if- she thought. It's as if I'm treating him like Dad.....