Chapter Six-The Walking Chewing Gum

I had retreated into the cabin that I had occupied earlier, Draco following soon after. He had a heavy glare focused on the doorway, as if he was ready to attack. My throat was dry as my hair stuck to my now sweaty face. Draco finally looks away from the door and turns his attention toward me. I felt frail and small, ready to curl up in a ball and disappear. Draco had no idea what to do, he just stood there with a confused look on his face.

"Why don't you just shut the blinds and change in here? I'll go to the bathroom and come back when you're done," he gently suggests. I swallow deeply and nod in response. He leaves without another word, and I collapse onto the seats. I want to stay there the entire time, but I will myself to get up and discretely put my uniform on, even though I knew no one could see me. I sit back down on the bench and began to fumble with my hair. I couldn't stand it, it felt like it weighed me down immensely. I heard a knock on the door and it opened a small bit. When he saw I was completely decent, Draco completely opened the door.

"Hello," I greet softly, slowly trusting my voice again. My hands were still trying to grab my hair, but my arms grow tired and I give up. My hair covers the side of my face like a greasy curtain.

"May I?" Draco offers and motions towards my hair. I slowly nod and move over to make space for him. He sat behind me and began to pull all of my hair back without using any force. He had checked to make sure he hadn't missed any pieces before motioning for the hair tie that I had toyed with in my hands. He secured my hair and smoothed it all down one more time before taking his original place across from me, "Crabbe and Goyle would never let me hear the end of this if they saw."

"Thank you," I whisper in appreciation. It was a simple pony tail. Anyone could have done it if I had asked, but he was being very soft and kind with his actions. He had already done so much for me, yet he continued to be nice. I thought we would never talk about what happened at the Leaky Cauldron, that I'd just nod in acknowledgement whenever I saw him. That there would be mutual, unspoken of respect.

I don't know how much time had passed, we just continued to sit in silence. Draco stared out the window and I had pulled out my journal, secretly sketching him. I only had a basis done when the train made a complete stop. I scrambled to pull myself together, quickly hiding my journal. To my surprise, Draco waits for me instead of leaving the cabin immediately.

"After you," he smiles and lets me go in front of me. When we leave the train, Draco's friends instantly find him, but Draco stays by my side the entire time. He acts as he normally with his friends, glancing at me every once in a while. A warm feeling bubbled inside me as I realized I had someone to look out for me for once. It was rather pleasant. We finally arrived at the castle and headed straight into the Great Hall. Ron noticed me walking in with Draco and pointed it out to Hermione who was practically fuming. I ignore them and take a seat towards the back of the room, farthest from the professors.

"No wonder that mudblood is in Hufflepuff. He's a weak, a coward," Draco growled to himself staring at the Hufflepuff table. Of course, the shaggy blonde hair that I hated was laughing and mocking the first years.

"How was your summer, Draco?" Goyle asked, feeling the tension rise.

"It was boring. I don't see why the Ministry still has ruled that any wizard under 17 can't do magic outside of Hogwarts. It's complete rubbish, really," Draco complained.

"My mother has found another bloke to marry. He took us to Australia. Too bad it was filled with muggles. I swear the only good thing about that place is the weather," Blaise spoke about his summer with disgust.

"Zabini's mother has persuaded yet another man into their life," Goyle snorted as he laughed.

"Keep laughing, I'm already better off than you will ever bee in life," Blaise retaliated. Blaise was inhumanely rich because his mother had been widowed seven times. It was suspicious as to how all of her husbands passed away, but I didn't pay much attention to it.

The conversation drew to a close as Professor Dumbledore rose to the podium to introduce the upcoming class of first years. He spoke very highly of the school until Professor McGonagall took over with the sorting ceremony. You could tell that the population of first years continued to grow smaller and smaller with all the havoc that came every year. I didn't pay any attention to the sorting ceremony, but I was reminded to clap whenever my house erupted in applause and cheer when someone had been sorted into Slytherin.

Dumbledore stepped up to the podium once more after everyone was sorted. He introduced our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, or DADA for short, Delores Umbridge. She was completely dressed in pink from head to toe, it looked as if someone had chewing gum and whilst blowing a bubble it completely popped all over her. The Great Hall watched her incredulously as she interrupted our headmaster.

"Thank you, headmaster. Now, how are you all doing tonight? I thought I would just say a few words," she began in a very prim voice. She continued to patronize students, causing murmuring to spread around the dining room. I was looking around, watching the frantic looks grow on people's faces, but then I caught Pansy Parkinson's eye. She glared at me from the opposite end of the table, hatred pooling in her eyes.

"I can't believe that Dumbeldore hired this git to watch over us, let alone teach us," I could hear Ron say from the other table, and I couldn't help but agree with him. This year was already off to a very rocky start, and I could tell it was going to get worse.

~

A/N-Filling that filler up, fam