Chapter 3- Leaving ✓

Chapter 3- Leaving

"I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally"

FIRST PERSON- LYNDSY ARSCOTT

After lunch, the rest of the day went by fast and before I knew it, I was at home doing my homework. I kept my grades up to get into a good college and get a good job to help support myself, and possibly Alexis, in the future.

"Physics..." I mumbled and massaged my temples, I've been doing my homework for hours now, and it was exhausting and brain numbing. I dropped my pencil and made the decision to do the rest later, or during a free-period.

I headed downstairs to get myself some tea knowing that it helps headaches. Right now I had one. After brewing myself some green tea I just sat down and thought.

After a minute or so, I heard the door open and in walked Alexis. "Hey Lyndsy." She said with a tired look, I pointed to the tea I set aside for her. "Thanks."

"I have a question, " I said, "can I go to this field trip thing for a week?" I asked. She bit her lip and looked conflicted for a moment. 

"We don't have the money to let you go." She said with a sorry expression.

"I know, but the expenses are covered already by the place we're going to. All you have to do is sign the slip." I said and took out the crumpled paper out of my pocket. She looked it over and took out a pen from her pocket and signed it with a smile.

"Where are you even going and for what?"

"Just some class trip for a week to this billionaire's building. We're learning about economics." I said with a sarcastic smile. 

"Have fun, I guess." She said and walked into her room to probably rest, "Don't do dumb things!" She added on from the stairs. I muttered a quiet 'yeah' and set my tea in the sink and headed to my room to get sleep for the next day.

**********

I tossed and turned a lot that night, instead of recurring nightmare I usually had, I instead dreamt of the hospital. That day, I was there for minor injuries but mom and dad were in the ER for fatal injuries. I had no idea what status my brother was in, but he was thrown out of the car. The snow could've cushioned his fall or he could've gotten hypothermia.

I have no idea.

While in the hospital a man came up to my claiming to be from the child services, he told me everyone but me had died in the accident. I was the only survivor. They changed my name and everything. All record of my old life were gone and only remained my name-- they couldn't take that away from me. Only that remained were painful memories. Oh how I envied those who had dreamless sleeps that night. 

I got out of bed and checked the time on my phone. It read 5:38, creepy, I though. I dismissed the coincidence and went to the bathroom to get ready. When I was done, I went downstairs with my bag, but I had realized I forgot my permission slip and had to walk back up.

After doing so, I bid my farewell to Alexis and walked to school.

When I got to Economics I handed in my slip and sat down as always. The teacher began her lesson. "Okay class, I hope you've all brought you permission slip cause tomorrow we will be going to Arscott industries and staying in a hotel for a week courtesy of Mr. Arscott himself!"

"We need the permission slip today in order to know who is coming, if you forgot you can call the office." She continued, I zoned out and paid attention to the plant behind her. It had a bug on it. Jeremy, a student, walked out of the room and into the office. He's known for forgetting stuff.

"Today we will be reviewing consumer demand. Consumer demand is a measure of consumers' desire for a product or service based on its availability." She explained and started to draw a circle and adding stuff as she talked, "The relationship between price and quantity demanded is the starting point for building a model of consumer behaviour..."

"Next time we will be learning about demand curves! And don't forget field trip tomorrow, 7:00!" She added as the bell rang. I quickly scribbled down some notes and headed out.

LINEBREAK

Before I knew it, the day had ended and I was on my walk home. I planned on packing first things when I got there instead of my typical procrastination or homework. I shut the door lightly as I walked into the house, Alexis could still be sleeping. I tiptoed up the stairs and into my room.

I pulled out a duffle bag, it was a plain black one but it held so much memories. It was the first one, the one I stepping into this house with.

"I don't want a kid!" A red-haired girl said.

"Come on Alexis, you can handle it. No one would take her, it'll only be until a month or so and she'll be gone, promise." A brown-haired boy begged. My heart stung when he said 'nobody would take her'. The redhead thought about it and finally gave in with a sigh.

"What's her name?" She asked.

"Lyndsy."

It's funny how she didn't want be at first, but now she calls me her angel. When the month was up, she found out that I would be sent to an old alcoholic who was 90% of the time drunk, so she adopted me.

Out of memory lane, I unzipped the bag and saw it was empty, it looked to be enough to hold 5 outfits and some sleeping clothes. I went to the closet and packed up enough clothes for 5 days and some essentials like a toothbrush/toothpaste, a hair comb, etc.

After stuffing everything in, I collapsed on my bed and closed my eyes for a second, relaxing. A few minutes passed and I got up and did my night routine. I turned off the lights and fell asleep thinking of the field trip tomorrow and what it would entail. That night, I dreamt no dreams.

********

"LYNDSY, Wake up!" Was the first thing I heard that morning coming from Alexis. I was confused to why she was up so early, she usually woke up at around 10 or 11:00 AM.

"What?!" I yelled, "Since when are you up so early?" I asked.

"Since, your alarm clock didn't turn off!" I finally noticed the background noise of my beeping alarm clock, it was 6:23. Crap. I shot out of bed and changed into the first acceptable outfit I saw. 

"Thanks Alexis!"

"No problem!" She yelled back. I heard the door shut. After doing a speedy shower I applied minimal makeup and grabbed my bags. I had 2 in total, my duffle bag and my actual bag with my money and phone and stuff. I also packed my computer.

"Alexis, see you in 5 days!" I screeched and ran out the door, I could hear her say 'bye'. It was 6:55, I had 5 minutes to get there. I ran all the way to school, I could see it was almost time for the bus to leave.

"I'm here!" I said out of breath.

"Nice of you to join us Lyndsy, place you bag in the car and have a seat in the bus." She said. I placed my bag in the car with the others, and walked into the bus following her instructiosn. I saw Emily's blonde hair in the back and her waving her hands back and forth.

"Lyndsy, I almost thought you wouldn't make it!" She exclaimed. Em saved me a window seat knowing that that was my preference. 

"Yeah me too." I said. I was tired and wanted to take a nap.

"Are you excited?" She asked, I nodded, "Good, it's going to be sooo fun! We'll meet the handsome billionaire..." I slowly fell asleep to the sound of Em's voice talking about the trip.