Chapter 1- Arscott ✓

Chapter 1- Arscott

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."

FIRST PERSON- LYNDSY ARSCOTT

"Lyndsy!" Emily yelled. I turned around to look at my best friend, she and I have been friends since elementary school, 5th grade to be exact. We were seniors already; time flies fast.

"Emmy!" I yelled back using her nickname. She ran to me and hugged me tight. "C-can't bre-eath!" I exclaimed in laughter. Emily let go of me, but didn't look sorry at all with a smile painted on her face. 

"What's up?" I asked. We were in the halls, it was the first day of school after the winter break. She and I just saw each other a few days ago to go to the mall- her idea, not mine.

"I haven't seen you in forever!" She yelled enthusiastically. I raised my eyebrow at that and gave her a look.

"We literally just saw each other a day ago." I said, she frowned at me in response

"Reunions are always fun, usually." She smiled. "I just like to experience them, the cliche way"

I rolled my eyes and continued down the hallway to the next class, economics. Emily was in the same class as me, which made it more fun and less boring. We weren't at the top of the food chain, but not at the bottom either. Emily and I were towards the bottom middles. Barely noticed, which in my opinion is great. But I have to admit, she was higher than me due to her naturally being very social.

"I heard that something big is going to happen today." Emily said, excited, "School-wise."

I shrugged and said, "I don't know, hope it's as exciting as it can be." I had my usual poker face on, even though I was happy I'd never show it, in contrast, Emily was grinning ear to ear. We finally got to Economics and sat ourselves down in our usual seats, which was next to each other.

"Welcome back class!" The teacher said merrily, with a fake and forced smile, one that most of the teachers here adorned, "I know you just got back from break, but we're going on a field trip soon!" The class erupted in cheers, this school hasn't gotten many field trips despite many of it's rich donors.

"How come you're not happy?" Emily whispered and nudged me. She was smiling widely, excitement clear in her eyes.

"I am, believe me," I said in monotone. After a few years I have 'mastered' shielding my emotions, in public anyway. Emily is the only one who I really showed any emotion to except for my first foster parents and current adoptive mother. She just rolled her eyes and continued to pay attention to the teacher.

I leaned over and said, "You don't even know where we're going. We could be going to some boring place."

Before she could respond, the teacher spoke trying to calm the class, "Now, calm yourselves." The class consisted of the head cheerleader 'whore', Clarissa, which nickname should be Claire, but was Lissa (she was very adamant about changing it). It also had jocks, and the most popular pretty boy, Mike.

"You kiddos, always getting excited when they don't even know, I used to be like that..." She, the teacher, said, trailing off in a quiet voice. She snapped out of her daydream and continued, "Anyway, we will be visiting Arscott Industries, one of the top companies present as of now."

I could feel somebody's eyes on me, making me uncomfortable as the teacher talked. I turned my head and saw that Mike was staring at me for whatever reason. Although curious, I didn't want to confront him about it since Lissa practically labelled him as hers ever since middle school, and if any girl even made eye contact she would get jealous. A jealous Clarissa is someone you wouldn't want to cross.

Once he saw that I noticed he turned his attention back to the teacher while I sank further in my seat.

"We'll be leaving about a week from now. The school hopes that if any of you want to be a business owner then you can learn from Jason Arscott, the proud CEO." The teacher said dreamily, it's like she was swooning.

Gross.

The rest of the lesson consisted of the teacher gushing about Jason, she looked like a love-sick school girl. I'd know because of Emily and her multiple crushes (that lasted a week or two at most). The teacher was like 40 and he was 20-something. The bell rang and we all got out, while the teacher said something, but I didn't catch it.

The morning lessons passed as soon as they came, and before we knew it, it was lunch. Em and I sat at the table with 'normal' people. We sat with Madelyn, the study-holic, Jessica, the artistic one (painting and music), Derek, and Josh. Just because we sit together doesn't mean we're friends, more of an acquaintance level. The only friend I have here is probably Emily.

"Hello." I said. They just murmured a 'hi' or 'hello' in response, Madelyn just absently nodded and kept reading some thing about physics. Rolling my eyes, I sat and ate my sandwich in peace, waiting for Emily to come to the table.

Minutes later, she arrived with a salad. No toppings, just greens. "Hi!" She said cheerfully. I murmured a quick 'Hello' and continued to eat.

"You're only eating a salad?" I asked concerned, Em lately had been battling self-esteem issues since high school started and I didn't want her to starve herself. She's perfect, but still calls herself 'overweight' or 'hair's too plain'. I may be cold, but I still cared for my best friend.

"Isn't it so exciting to be meeting Jason Arscott?" Emily said, dodging my question and at the same time acting interested. I made a mental note to ask her about it in private. At the name 'Jason Arscott' everybody at the tabled snapped their heads up.

"Jason Arscott? As in the CEO of Arscott industries? He's the richest man ever, and the youngest billionaire, and not to mention very yummy! He could be qualified to be a model." Jessica exclaimed, getting almost everybody in the lunch room's attention. She blushed a deep red color and put her head down.

I rolled my eyes (probably the third time today) and excused myself to throw my stuff away. I didn't get the hype about this guy, and I didn't want to hear Emily's fangirling or Jessica's statements about how hot he is. Emily was good friends with almost all of them so I wasn't completely leaving her alone. 

After throwing my half-eaten sandwich away I decided to wander the halls.

I just walked around, looking lost as ever. "Hey, you lost?" Someone called out. They were across the hall, it was a guy. To be specific, Mike. I scanned the hall to make sure Lissa wouldn't pop out of nowhere and claw my eyes out for talking to him, before responding.

"No." I said and walked around some more. He looked back at me and caught up.

"I have a question," He stated, "You've been through the system, right? Since seven?" I looked up and made brief eye contact contemplating his motives, before replying.

"Yes, how do you know? Why do you want to know?" I asked suspiciously.

"Oh, I heard it somewhere and was curious." He smiled a perfect smile with hints of fake-ness in it then jogged off to the lunchroom, leaving me confused and suspicious.

I stared at his retreating back. People like him and me don't associate with each other or make light conversation. It was suspicious that he would even notice me at all.

It was usually people in the popular crowd talking with the popular people, and I was definitely not in it; but I'm okay with being a ghost and the girl who has only one picture in the yearbook. Or named being a cold-hearted bitch. I didn't care at all really.

Soon after, the bell rang signaling that it was time for class. I quickly grabbed my books and headed to the next lesson.