Chapter 14- Promise Me

"Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night. I miss you like hell."

-Edna St. Vincent Millay

Third Person- FLASHBACK

Today was a special day.

The Arscott family was taking a vacation to visit their grandfather who was dying of Cancer. They only had a few days with him before the doctors predicted when he'd die. The 2 children, Lyndsy (6) and Jason (10) was ecstatic to see him. The family planned on about a week with him before leaving to go back to their house. Although Nathan Arscott begged his father to come stay with him, he refused because he wanted to stay in the house he shared with first and only love before she died a few years after he was diagnosed.

It was quite the love story actually.

The family arrived at the quaint little secluded house near the lake, Lyndsy, who was full of energy, immediately jumped out of the car and into the arms of her grandfather. He chuckled and picked her up with his remaining strength. "Lyndy!" He exclaimed with a large smile.

Following her was Jason and their parents. Jason ran into his grandfather's arms much like how his younger sister did. They all looked happy to see each other and for a moment they forgot about then old man's sickness. "Hey squirt!" He chuckled and ruffled his grandchild's hair in a teasing manner.

The kid rushed to fix his hair, earning a light laugh from everyone else. "It's good to see you Henry." Rose, Mrs. Arscott, greeted with a smile to her father in law and small hug. Nathan, who was helping take the suitcases out of the trunk, dropped the last bag and embraced his father.

"Hey dad." He smiled, it however did not reach his eyes due with the knowledge of his father's sickness.
He relished in the warmth of father knowing that he may never feel it again after that week.

The only time he would be able to act friendly and like a loving father is with his family due to his status as the CEO of one of the world's biggest companies.

They got out of the hug and the old man went to help Nathan with the remaining bags. "No, dad. I got it." He said once he saw his father trying to carry it and went to take the bag.

"Son, it's okay. I'm not just an old man." Henry said putting his hand on Nathan's. In the past couple of years, his strength had been deteriorating with age and cancer, but despite that, the man still wanted to be strong.

Even though Nathan did not want his father to carry something heavy, he let him do it.

They two entered the household and saw Lyndsy pouting up at Jason and Rose smiling at them in amusement. The suitcases were left at the front door and the pair went to join their family.

-

The next few days were bliss for the family. The time away from the media and public was a breath of fresh air for Rose and Nathan after receiving so much attention from their interesting love story. Lyndsy was as carefree as ever, playing in the backyard plucking flowers and enjoying nature while Jason watched her to make sure she was okay. Henry was content with his family. Seeing his grandkids' youthful happiness and his son in love with a beautiful wonderful woman was enough to made him feel happy with his life and not bitter about what was predicted to happen soon.