Chapter 13- ...things

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

-Buddha

FIRST PERSON- LYNDSY ARSCOTT

"What's so important in that USB drive?" I ask, he looked up from his shoes and into my eyes.

"It has information about you're whole family and everyone in their league, everyone they arrested." He explained, "If any of that get's out you and your brother will be targeted, probably assassinated, and we'll have nobody on the inside." I nodded, thinking about it for a second.

"Wait, so my brother is your inside man?" I asked, he nodded. "So, my family spies on the rich to weed out the corrupt, which caused them to die. But, my brother and I survived the crash." I bit my lip and tried to comprehend what was just said.

Before this, I was just a teenager who was in the system, now I'm involved in something probably dangerous. Something having to do with spies and secret agents.

"Anything else you wanna ask?" I sighed, glancing at him.

"Nope." He replied shortly after. I sighed again and laid back on the couch while simultaneously exhaling a deep breath. Looking over at Ryder, I noticed how his stance was alert and ready for anything. That lead me to wonder what he's done and seen.

"What happens now?" I asked, breaking the silence that was slowly becoming awkward.

"That, depends on your friend and what she'll do with the USB." He responded, "Do you have any way of contacting her?"

"No, I threw my phone at you, but I don't know if she has her phone on. . . speaking about phones, you owe me a new one." I recalled.

"What? You threw the phone at me." He emphasized certain words, hoping to make a point.

"But if you didn't stop to talk and rationalize, this wouldn't of happened." I defend, "Therefor, you are the one to blame." I pointed at him with a look as if to question his authority.

"It's not entirely my fault, you were acting suspicious and as a battle ready agent, I assessed the situation giving it that outcome." He rebuffed.

"Well your 'assessing skills' are terrible." I glared, crossing my arms.

"I graduated at the top of my division and had several successful missions." He said, more like bragged.

"Sure. . ." I drawled heavily with sarcasm, ending the conversation. We were then set in a suffocating silence, the adrenaline was wearing off and I started to feel tired, and bored. Then came the desire to hit something...as you can see I'm kinda violent.

How long is it gonna take for Emily to come back? I think impatiently.

THIRD PERSON- EMILY VANDERVELT

Adam and Emily exited the cafe as normally as possible to make it as if they didn't notice the people spying on them. Once they were a respectable distance away she broke out into a run, dragging him along by his wrist and dodging anyone on the street. To any bystander it looked as if they were a couple in a hurry.

After a few minutes, the two arrived at the building, both heavily breathing. "Who were those guys?" Adam asked.

Emily shook her head, "I don't know, but I think they have something to do with Ryder." With that, they both walked in, however they were stopped by the new receptionist. She stood up and looked them up and down. The receptionist looked to be early to mid 20's, dressed in a pencil skirt, blouse, paired with a bun, and accessories.