Chapter 21- Lockdown

Chapter 21- Lock down

  " Trust is the glue of life. It's the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It's the foundational principle that holds all relationships. "

- Stephen Covey 

ADAM ASHTON EMILY VANDERVELT JASON ARSCOTT 
THIRD PERSON

"Me?" Adam asked, his voice unsure and wavering. 

"Who else am I looking at? You see, Adam, you have been on our radar since your brother, Adrian Oliver Ashton, hacked into the FBI to get classified files on your father's criminal activities. Apparently, he taught you a few things in hacking and here we are today. You were able to find out location of VXR off the encrypted flash drive found with agent Wilde, that is enough to warrant a recruit from us."

Emily looked bewildered once she heard Adam's family history, he looked embarrassed with his cheeks painted a light tint of pink and refusing to look at anyone in eye.

"Is this an exchange or recruitment?" Jason butt in. 

"Both, we highly encourage Adam to try our recruit program for at least a month and if he pulls out then your sister is ours. However, if he finishes the month he could stay and become a full fledged agent, or he could leave after, either way in that scenario Lyndsy is free to be with you."

"What is this training program like?" Adam asked. 

"It's similar to what Jason has done but more specialized in your specific field. You'll be trained on weaponry, self-defense, and technology. Not many people get recruited or become full-fledged agents."

"And why is that?"

"Only the best of the best get through, we're hoping you'd be in that group."

"We'll think about it," Emily cut in, "just give us a moment to talk about it." Jason reluctantly agreed with her, wanting to have his sister back as soon as possible, but in the end it was up to Adam. 

"Alright." Agent Azarov said and turned to leave the room for them to discuss.

"Wait," Jason said last moment, "before we make any deals I want to see my sister."

The agent paused, listening to the ear piece telling him what to do. After a moment's pause he spoke up with an answer, "I'll be back with your sister and Agent Wilde."

Jason didn't relax too much, but seemed less on guard. 

"Since it's Adam we are using to bargain with he should make the final decision." Emily said first. Her thoughts we're on Adam's well-being, but she didn't know what she'd do if he declined. It was her best friend they were bargaining for. 

Jason agreed.

"I mean like Adam is the one who has nearly no connection or obligation to me or Jason or Lyndsy, and I would feel insanely guilty if something were to happen cause I brought you into this mess. There is no pressure to do anything you don't feel comfortable with, at least not from me." Emily rambled on. 

"Relax Emily, this would be a fun and educational experience that would be beneficial to me. Besides, I want to help you guys and if that means participating in some training program, so be it." Adam reassured.

 "That program is anything but fun. They push you very hard and only the strongest of willpower, mind, and body make it through. Chances that you'll make it through are slim."

"How pessimistic Jason, you're not doing a very good job at convincing the person who would get your sister back." Emily glared. Adam was a tiny bit offending at Jason's obvious disbelieving of him, but understood why. 

"I know my limits, how long did it last for you?" Adam said before Jason could reply to the glaring blonde. 

"A year is average before first mission, but everything before that is brutal."

"What's a month to year, I'm sure I could make it," Adam said a little to confident, as if he was trying to convince himself more than the other two. 

Before the older Arscott could say something discouraging Emily gave him a look which promptly caused him to shut his mouth. She felt a modicum of satisfaction. 

"Yeah, you could totally do this. We believe in you."

"Okay yeah, I could totally do this. Just survive a month in a cut throat environment what pushes everything you have, piece of cake. Nothing like-" Adam was abruptly cut off by Agent Azarov barging into the room.

"I need you to follow me." He said urgently. 

"Why? What's going on? Where's my sister?" Jason stood up and asked question after question quickly, a sense of dread filled his stomach as thoughts of something bad happening to his sister overtook his mind like a swarm of bees to it's queen. He just got her back and seeing her hurt or dead would be inexplicable.

"I'll explain later, now I just need you to stay quiet and be inconspicuous." 

The trio, though reluctantly, followed his orders hearing the urgency and seriousness in his voice. Jason was guarded, not exactly trusting the agent and trying to spot any possible threats. He noticed the earpiece that was earlier in his right ear was gone.  

With a brief turn of his head, Jason exchanged glances with Emily who seemed just as worried as he was. 

LYNDSY ARSCOTT - FIRST PERSON

"Did you hear that?" Ryder asked breaking the lack of conversation between us. 

"Hear what?" I asked, the tiredness (more like boredom) of my voice peaked through. 

"It's like a distant sound."

"Are you sure you're not imagining it?"

"Positively, be quiet and maybe you'll hear it too." Ryder got up from his sitting position and stalked towards the door cautiously. 

"No need for the attitude mister." I mentally rolled my eyes, but straightened my back and tensed up. I couldn't lie and say Ryder's instincts were something that couldn't be trusted, after all, he was some sort of trained operative in this agency. It was quiet in here, not even the sounds of our breathing was that discernible, and in that I could hear a somewhat faint high pitched sound that was slowly getting louder.  

"What the fu-" I started before I was interrupted by a harsh 'shhh' from Ryder. I gave him a bewildered look and he remained guarded giving me a warning look. 

"Lyndsy, I need you to actually listen to me and trust me." I nodded slowly with furrowed eyebrows. "That alarm is only for when we are infiltrated or under attack by another agency, we are going to get out of here and you are going to be quiet." He said it slowly checking to make sure I understood. 

"How do I know I could trust you?"

"I have spent the last five years of my life sworn to protect the Arscotts and whomever they want, and as far as I'm concerned you are an Arscott."