Chapter 19- Bonding

Chapter 19- Bonding 

 "Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage."

-Lao Tzu

LYNDSY ARSCOTT- FIRST PERSON

We were thrown in a cell that had the area of a closet. It wasn't comfortable, but it certainly wasn't the worst that could happen to us. I begrudgingly sat down on the bed in a corner of the room after my not-so-graceful stumble into the cell almost colliding into Ryder. 

It was a plain gray barren room with no windows, minimal furniture, and the only visible exit was the one we got thrown through. 

"So, that was your boss, huh?" I asked, trying to make conversation. "Seem like a nice lady." I said sarcastically. 

He joined me on the opposite end of the bed, leaned back, mimicking my position, and shrugged. "Nice as long as your her favorite." He said.

"Have you had that special treatment?" I asked curiously. Meredith didn't seem to have any attachments to anyone due to her office's lack of personal belongings. It was understandable though, she was the director of a secret government organization and that came with a lot of responsibilities.

"No, one person has only had and she betrayed everyone." He said looking off to the side in an thoughtful reminiscent way for just a second before reverting back.

"What happened?"

"Can't say. It's classified."

"Of course. Everything here is classified." I said bitterly, my voice just above a whisper. As a curious person, this was torture.

I wasn't sure if he heard me or not, but if he did he didn't show it.

I changed the subject once the environment was beginning to get tense. "Did you think my brother with come?" I asked, the word brother foreign on my tongue due to the lack of meaning it had in the last few years to me. It was just surreal now that we got reunited.

He took a deep breath, then replied, "He would, he's one of the loyal ones of all of us." I closed my eyes tried to remember my childhood, bits and pieces flashed back to me and I could feel Ryder's gaze on my face. I just leaned my head back and kept my eyes closed while taking calming breaths. We remained like that for a few seconds.

"What's it like?" I asked, "Being a secret agent and all?"

He sighed, "It's...difficult and you have to make hard decisions so the greater good is protected."

"Why did you become one?" I pried.

"It was the family business. Spying on people, gathering Intel, putting ourselves in danger; it went throughout generations." He replied, then quickly added, "If you think your getting more information about my personal life, then your sorely mistaken."

I shrugged. "At least I tried. You seem to know all about my life, it's only fair I I know about yours." I tried prying further. 

There was a brief moment of eye contact before he replied, "I tend not to give my assignments any personal information."

"I guess I'll be the first." I slightly grinned. "After all, I'm an anomaly to this organization."

He rolled his eyes at me. "Why are you so interested in my life?" He asked looking up to me, meeting my eyes. 

I shrugged and pursed my lips in thought. "You're interesting." I said after a moment. "Not everyday you encounter a secret agent whose past is one big mystery, it's almost like one of those sappy teen fiction novels." 

His left eyebrow subtly raised and his eyes scanned my face. "Sometimes I wonder if the girl I met at Jason's building is the same one in this cell." 

"Ha ha." I said humorlessly. "I'd hit you right now, but I'm too tired." I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. He didn't reply to me after that. 

For one last time, I broke the silence. "Ryder?" I called quietly, he quietly hummed in response. "Do you think this will be the only normal conversation that we'll have?" There was a moment of silence causing me to question whether or not he had heard me. 

"Probably." He murmured after a pause. I relaxed my body.

EMILY VANDERVELT- THIRD PERSON

The unlikely trio made it to Meredith Harper's secret agency within half an hour since it was at a remote location far away. In that time, the three kept an awkward silence going on, with Adam of course being awkward, Emily pouting in the corner, and Jason remaining cool and collected. 

The atmosphere was of course furthered by Adam trying (keyword: trying ) to make small talk. "Did you know my full name is Adam Alexander Ashton? What are yours?"

Emily curtly answered, "Emily Keli Vandervelt."

Jason decided to answer after brief contemplation, "Jason Grant Arscott." 

"Cool names, any hobbies? Mine's hacking and computer stuff."

"Do you ever consider working for a larger organization? Your skills would be highly appreciated." Jason asked. He was still staring at the road in concentration. Emily turned and stared incredulously at him; just an hour ago he was saying that he didn't trust Adam. 

Adam turned into a stuttering mess at being addressed directly by Jason, "Well, um, I-I didn't think I would be taken seriously and it's more of a hobby to me. Besides, who would I reach out to?"

"For a hobby, you're exceptionally skilled at it."

"My parents taught me since I was little, it came natural to me."

"What's your story?" Jason prodding, causing Emily to intervene before Adam could reply.

"Jason, your making him uncomfortable, focus on the road." She said. Adam gave her a look as if to say thank you. Jason complied and sped up a little to get to the destination faster. 

They did arrive faster than expected. They all exited the car and squinted in the sunlight, Jaosn put on his sunglasses.

Before them stood a medium large two story building in front a plain surrounded by smaller buildings, it looked ordinary and plain with a large sign reading VXR in big letters. Nothing about it screamed "government agency".

"Are you sure this is the right location?" Emily asked. Adam double checked his tablet/computer and nodded yes. 

"Somethings aren't as they seem." Jason said and they walked to the building. 

OH MY SHIZNICKLES!!! WE REACHED 1K VOTES!

-also, I'm super late in updating cause life and stuff

             -apologies for that 

-I'm going to complete the story and then edit in third person 

UNEDITED