Chapter 15- Trust

Chapter 15-Trust

"Just because something isn't a lie does not mean that it isn't deceptive. A liar knows that he is a liar, but one who speaks mere portions of truth in order to deceive is a craftsman of destruction."

-Criss Jami

LYNDSY ARSCOTT- FIRST PERSON

The ride was comfortably silent as Ryder drove and I entertained myself by staring out the window. It was a blacked out window where nobody could see from the outside.

Minutes passed and we soon arrived at the destination, 'HADLEY CEMETERY' the sign read. My stomach dropped as I realized where we were. Flack backs flooded my mind of the last time I was in a cemetery. 

Ryder exited the car and came over to my side while I was distracted and opened the door for me.

I snapped out of it and exited without saying a word. He understood and guided me through the gravestones. His hand was on my back as we walked, making sure I stayed close in case anyone were to attack us. I could tell he was tense by his posture but put that at the back if my mind.

We stood in silence.

I stared at the 3 graves that stood in front of us, the eerie atmosphere was suffocating. 3 separate flowers were laid out, a daisy, a delilah, and a rose, all of which were white.

"He left flowers here everyday for the first few months, but never stopped visiting." Ryder said quietly. In response, I absently nodded any head and knelt down to the first stone, the one with the Delilah.

Nathan Arscott
Beloved father
Always remembered, never forgotten
1968-2006

I lightly touched the black lettering of the stone with  curiosity of what my father was like. I felt a small pang of hurt as a gazed as the grave. Sucking it in, my eyes drifted towards the next one to the right, the one with the Rose.

Rosalyn Arscott
Beloved mother
Forever in our hearts
1969-2006

A woman smiling and laughing flashed in my mind causing me to gasp quietly and straighten my back. Behind me, I could hear Ryder shifting his stance as if something was to happen. As quickly as the flashes came they left, leaving me disappointed and shocked.

I decided to come back to that later and moved over to the last gravestone.

Lyndsy Arscott
Beloved sister/daughter
Taken away too soon
1999-2006

Seeing your own gravestone is kind of surreal. I knew that nothing was buried underneath, but I understood that one day it wouldn't be empty and instead I would be 6 ft under.

Maybe the Lyndsy, Rose, and Nathan raised did die in the car crash, leaving me to be the shell of the girl, a replacement.

I sucked in a deep breath and looked back at the grave.

The graves looked a little worn out from having been outdoors for a decade. I touched the rough stone and traced the lettering, hoping to spark some sort of memory like it did with the others.

"I don't remember them." I stated in a broken whisper, after a moment. Sure I remembered bits and flashes, but I didn't know them. I don't remember the lullabies my mother might've sung to me or my father encouraging me to be a good person. The only memories I had before 7 was bits of flashes and sitting in the car. I remembered Jason to an extent, but not enough.