Chapter Seventeen// Giving Up

//AERON//

I pick up my phone on the first ring.

It's my mom.

"Hey," I smile.

I'm sitting on my bed, it's like eight. My moms new job is Starbucks at a late shift. During the day she works as a waitress.

"Hey babe, how are you?" She asks.

"Well other than what I told you happened on the weekend nothing has really happened, I'm pretty good though. How are the girls and you?" I ask.

"Well the girls are fantastic, me not so much," she says.

"And why's that?" I ask.

"Well your father sent me the divorce papers," she explains."But I still love him."

She starts to cry, ah she's gonna make me cry.

"Mom it's going to be okay, he doesn't deserve you," I say.

"It's hard Aer, he was everything and my everything and the things he did I forgive him and still want to be with him," she says.

"I'm sorry you feel that way, it'll be okay soon mom," I say. "He's the one who screwed up, you can't blame yourself."

"You're right, I'm glad I called you. How's Alex and Brett?" She asks.

"Alex is great, Brett is too," i explain.

"That's good, and you're not doing anything bad?" She asks.

"No mom, I'm not," I laugh. "Anyways I got to go, I miss you."

"I miss you," she hangs up.

My mom and I stopped saying I love you because she doesn't want to be loved by anyone else besides my dad.

Depressing if you ask me.

I set my phone down and start to cry. If he never fucked up we can all be happy.

My mom is depressed more than ever right now. I feel horrible now and gosh it makes me hate myself.

My phone rings again and I pick up again.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Hey honey," I hear my dad.

"Hey, how are you?" I sniffle.

"I'm okay I guess, just sent the divorce papers to your mom. She's not exactly taking it so well, but I need you to know it's not your fault and I wanted to ask you if you wanted to stay with the Mason's next year or come live with me down in Florida?"

"But it is my fault," I start to cry. "If I never assumed you were making reservations for mom she would've never showed up at the hotel room and saw you doing those things," I say.

"Look Aeron, I messed up but I also fell out of love with her. Why else do you think I would do that? But don't blame yourself, make yourself useless and support our decision," he says.

What's that supposed to mean?

"Whatever I have to go," I say.

"Don't talk to me like that," he says.

"Why? You gonna cheat on me too and take her daughter shopping, and go watch the movies we love, and sing in the car to our favorite country music?" I ask mad.

"Hey! I am your dad forever and always. Were family," he says.

"That's why you cheated on mom," I hang up and throw my phone on all the throw pillows on the ground.