Chapter 38

"You're going to Millburn to watch monkeys dance to a Michael Jackson song?" My mother interrogated.

"Yes, it's like... a concert with circus animals." I answered as I twirled the ends of my hair with my quivering fingers. I was absolutely terrible at telling lies. The stories I made up were totally unrealistic but my parents believed them anyway.

Before I agreed to go to Fleese with Harry, he asked me a question. He asked if I would be his girlfriend... and I said no. I didn't completely reject him, though. I asked him to give me more time. It was just too soon. I liked him a lot and I knew I would eventually succumb to his request but I couldn't just skip into a relationship after another that quickly, especially when my previous relationship was with his brother. It was still weird.

"Fine." She uttered. "But I still find it hard to believe that you simply found a kitten as clean and white as this in an alley." She said as she watched Jelly Bean play with an empty tissue box.

I bent down and brought Jelly Bean into my arms. "It's true. She was so lost and alone." I lied, stroking her soft fur. "Please take care of her while I'm gone, mum."  

In actuality, Harry bought Jelly Bean from the town's pet store. She was a special breed and you definitely wouldn't find her loafing about in dark alleys.

"Alright." She let out a sigh. "I have always been a cat person." A smile appeared on her face. "Are you sure it's a girl, though?"

"Yes. I've checked." I laughed.

My mother strolled back into the kitchen while I settled down on the living room carpet. I sat cross legged as I attempted to strap a pink leather collar around Jelly Bean's neck. "Hold still. I don't want people to think you're a stray cat." I giggled as she tried to wriggle out of my grip and paw at my jeans.

"There we go." I mumbled, clipping the two ends of the collar together. I tickled Jelly Bean below her chin and marvelled at my taste in cat collars. She looked stunning... for a cat.  

She soon stopped jerking around and meowed at something behind me.

"What is it, Je-" My eyes widened when I turned to see a face that made my heart wrench.

Daniel tapped his knuckles on the grimy front window as he peered in. My pulse raced at the thought of what my mother would do if she saw him.

I rushed out of the house as fast as I could, making Jelly Bean jump. I slammed the door behind me and pulled Daniel by his arm behind the large bush in the garden. I made sure we were both completely hidden and out of sight.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I tried to keep my voice as low as possible as I fumed at him.

Daniel looked at me with dark, antsy eyes. They were already begging for forgiveness on their own. "Helena, this was the only way to get you to listen. Please just let me explain." He pleaded. The veins on his forehead were slightly protruding. He was an uneasy sight.

"What?" I sighed, softly resting my forehead on my fist.

"Okay, I was terribly drunk that night at a frat party and Polly just happened to be there. She was intoxicated too and it... just happened but I had no intention of ever cheating on you, Helena. You need to trust me on that." His thin lips trembled as he spoke.

"Trust you?" I scoffed. "You expect me to trust you?" I shook my head and began to walk away but was halted by Daniel's grip on my arm. I lurched my arm away from him and narrowed my eyebrows.

"I have absolutely no feelings for Polly at all. And I never have. I swear I won't drink again." He added. "I love you, Helena. I need you. I'm sorry."