Part 12

Leelee woke up the next morning and sat up in a big empty bed only to sink back down just as quickly groaning. Her head felt like it was about to split open and her hands shook as she tried to pull the hair out of her face. She opened her eyes again tentatively and looked around the room. She was used to waking up in foreign beds but she thought she recognised this room. She looked at her body under the covers. She wasn't naked. What the hell am i wearing? She thought as she looked down at a white cotton pyjama top. So not a one night stand then.

Her eyes darted about for more clues. There was a black dress draped on a mahogany chair. A little dog bed in the corner by the long window. A heavy wooden chest covered with piles of books. Then she spotted it. A photograph of her father and Stevie on the nightstand. Shit. She was at Stevie's. What the fuck am i doing in Stevie's bed?

She tried to remember details of the night before but everything was lost from the time of arriving at the club onwards. The club. Fuck. She tried to get up again, cautiously this time, and made her way downstairs searching for Stevie.

She eventually found her in the kitchen, sat at the little table beyond the breakfast island, reading the paper and sipping coffee.

"I was wondering when you were going to make an appearance." Stevie said lightly as Leelee sat down and groaned on impact. She lay her head in her hands on the table and waited to see what Stevie was going to say. To find out how much she'd seen or knew.

"You want some?" Stevie asked as she assessed Leelee's level of sobriety. She was definitely hungover but there was something else that seemed off about her too.

"Please." Leelee said not moving and Stevie got up and brought her a mug and a blueberry muffin for good measure. Leelee was getting anxious and she took the mug with shaking hands.

"Stevie it's lovely to see you and all, but what am i doing here?" Leelee asked unable to control herself any longer. Where the fuck is my purse? She thought.

"You don't remember?" Stevie replied with a question and was simultaneously relieved and worried.

"Would i have asked if i remembered?" Leelee snapped and Stevie immediately disliked her tone.

"You tell me." Stevie replied coldly.

"Obviously not. Where's my purse?" She asked her mouth twitching.

"In the living room." Stevie answered and Leelee shot up to get it. Stevie followed after her and stood in the doorway watching her root desperately through her bag.

"You won't find it." Stevie said and Leelee's eyes flashed to her in despair.

"What have you done with it?" Leelee moved towards her threateningly but Stevie stood there calmly holding her coffee.

"By my estimation it's floating in a sewer right about now." Stevie said and sipped her coffee.

"For fucks sake Stevie i need that!" Leelee yelled and Stevie put her cup down, closing the gap between them.

"Oh you need cocaine huh? What has it been, 10 hours and you're already in withdrawal?" Stevie said patronisingly.
"How could you be so fucking stupid!" She exclaimed.

"LIKE YOU CAN TALK!" Leelee screamed back at her.

"I haven't touched that shit in 28 years. And i'm not fucking 15." Stevie yelled back.

"Don't get on your fucking high horse. Once a coke whore always a coke whore." Leelee spat. She needed a hit and she needed it now.

"I don't know who you think you're talking to but don't you ever speak to me like that little girl." Stevie said menacingly and she was convincingly frightening enough to silence Leelee.