C H A N C E S

I WALK INTO THE CONTROL ROOM, expecting to find my dad drunk or working. That's all he does these days. But instead, I find him looking at his computer, a puzzled expression on his face. "Dad? What's going on?" I ask, walking up to his desk.

He's watching the CCTV footage intently, something he hasn't done since the last person in the building left. Maybe someone's alive, maybe someone came back. Maybe someone is going to take us away from here...

"It's nothing, sweetie. You should go to bed." He mumbles, trying to change the subject. Oh, something's up. He always said something like this when I asked about the countdown.

"Dad, please. What's go-" I cut myself off, pushing past him to see the screen. People are standing at the entrance. They want to get in. It's a group of about ten to fifteen people and what seems to be their leader is begging us to let them in. "Dad, what are you doing? Let them in!"

"Casey, we don't know them. They could be dangerous. I'm not risking your safety." He tells me calmly, rubbing his temples. I look at him, shock lacing my features as I take in his words.

"Dad, these are actual people. Living, breathing people that will die if we don't let them in! They have children, for god's sake!" I try to talk him into it. These people are going to be eaten alive if they don't come in. Not only that, but the clock's literally ticking and there is no way in hell another group of people is going to come here in the days we still have left. "Dad, please."

He doesn't seem to budge so, as my only chance of exiting this place starts to turn back and leave, I do something that might be very dangerous. I leap over him and press the red button that opens the door. I know I've probably endangered them by letting them come here, but they need shelter and right now, and they're my ticket out of here.

He goes from looking confused to enraged as he sees them bringing their stuff in. I ignore my father's yells and turn around, wanting to go upstairs, when he grabs my arm. "Stop! If they're staying here, then I'm gonna go out there! You've done enough damage for today. Stay here, Casey." He lets go of me, picks up a rifle and gets into the elevator.

A few minutes pass and I'm still sat in one of the chairs, just looking at the main entrance. When I finally start to hear voices and my father orders Vi to turn on the lights, I jolt up. Yes, I was worried. We don't know these people. I just hope they're good people who can take me with them. But still, I don't know who they are. "Welcome to Zone 5." He greets them.

"Where is everybody? The other doctors, the staff?" The leader guy asks as they all look around. I can see their facial expressions drop a little as they take it all in.

"I'm it. It's just me and my daughter here." I wave at them slightly, smiling softly.

"What about that person you were talking to? Vi?" A woman in the back asks. I look up at my father with hopeful eyes. He nods, rolling his eyes at my childishness

"Vi, say hi to our guests." I say with a big smile, "Tell them... Welcome."

"Hello, guests. Welcome."  Vi's robotic voice booms through the room.

"I'm all that's left. I'm sorry." My smile drops as I remember everyone who left. Everyone who died.

✖✖✖✖

He took them to another room to have them all checked out. I decide not to go and go back to my make-shift room. It's only got a couch and my bag which has some clothes and my knives in it, but it's enough. I look through the bag and take the out the first knife that I find. It's my butterfly knife. I turn it around, examining it. I remember the day I got this.