H I L L T O P

THE NEXT DAY, Carl actually wakes up before I do

THE NEXT DAY, Carl actually wakes up before I do. To say that's rare is the biggest understatement ever. He smiles as he looks down at me, muttering a good morning. "You're awake? That's a first." I say, turning around to look at the alarm clock on the bedside table. Nine in the morning. Normally, I'd freak out because everyone's usually awake, but Glenn will probably assume I just left early.

He chuckles, but the smile falls off his face as he protests when I detangle myself from him, getting up. "I already overslept." I say, a smile on my face as he grabs my hand. He mutters something under his breath, before letting go of me. I run my hand through my hair absentmindedly, putting on my boots before exiting the room. Usually, I'd just walk down the stairs, but I stop in my tracks as I see a long haired man wearing a beanie sitting on the steps, his back facing me.

The stranger doesn't seem aware of my presence, and my hand instinctively reaches for my gun, finding nothing on my belt. I hold back a sigh. I didn't bring it, nor did I bring my knife, obviously. I silently walk back inside Carl's room, seeing him already up. He goes to talk, but I put my index finger to my lips, telling him to be quiet. "Stranger sitting on the stairs. Where's your gun?" I ask, whispering.

Shock falls on his face, before he does as he's told, grabbing his gun and silently walking out of the room. I follow, him staying protectively in front of me before he steps up to the man, placing the gun to his head.

"What the hell are you doing in our house?" Carl asks, the man tensing up for a second, before relaxing again.

"I'm, uh, sitting on the steps, looking at this painting, waiting for your mom and dad to get dressed." He says, making me frown. Mom and dad? Obviously he means Rick, but... Michonne, maybe? "Hi, I'm Jesus." He introduces himself. I don't even have time to question his name before the main bedroom door opens, and out comes a half dressed Rick and slightly disheveled Michonne.

Carl turns around, looking at his dad in shock, while my eyes widen as I look at the two of them. "Carl, hey, um-" Rick starts, looking around from 'Jesus', to his son, and to me, not being able to say anything else before more footsteps are heard. Daryl, Glenn, and Maggie rush up the stairs, guns raised.

"It's okay." Michonne says as I take a small step back, not wanting Glenn to see me here. But I see him narrow his eyes at me, confused, and I know I'm busted.

None of them lower their guns, though, as Rick starts putting on a shirt. "You said we should talk. So, let's talk." He says. Eventually, they lower their weapons, letting the guy through. We all walk downstairs, and I see Glenn staring confusedly at me as we all sit down, Rick filling us in on who this Jesus guy is.

Apparently, Daryl and Rick ran into him on their run yesterday, and after he tried to steal their truck- which ended up having it sink into a lake, they knocked him out and put him in the cell Morgan's been building. "So, how'd you get out?" Rick asks.