Chapter 10 - More Information is Needed:

Derek hesitates to put Doctor Deaton down, but Scott gives him a glare, making him obey his orders and place Doctor Deaton on the floor.

"Thank you," Dr Deaton says calmly as he straightens up his vet coat.
"Shut up," Derek says. "All I want to hear from you, is you talking through to us what the hell is going on."
"I understand," he nods and heads back over to his filing cabinet. "I need to show you all something."

He searches through the draw and pulls out a book tightly closed with a thin piece of cloth, one that looks old fashioned and dusty.

"What is that?" Scott asks. "It looks ancient."
"Ancient legends are to be told through this book," Dr Deaton tells Scott.
"Oh so I'm part right," Scott jokes.
"Not funny," Derek flattens the amusing mood.

You smile in appreciation at Derek's concern to Stiles' health and safety; he is desperate to help him.

"Can you just tell us what the stupid thing is?"
"Patience Derek," Dr Deaton slows him down. "If you want to know everything there is to know about what's going on, then it's going to take a while."
"Just get to the important parts," Derek tells him.
"That's just it," Dr Deaton says. "Everything is important."

Derek rolls his eyes as Doctor Deaton places the book down on the treating table, and blows the dust off. You, Scott and Derek all stare intensely at the book as Doctor Deaton opens it carefully. Once the front cover is removed, all of your stares become even more intimate. The image on the front page is a werewolf.

"Why is there a werewolf on the front page?" Scott asks, curious to know.
"Because Scott," Dr Deaton starts to explain. "Werewolves were the first species of the supernatural kind to be discovered."
"Who discovered them?" Derek asks, folding his arms as he takes a closer look at the image.
"His name was Adalwin," Dr Deaton replies. "He was the one who created this book."
"So he was like, a hunter?" You ask.
"No," Dr Deaton stops you from thinking the wrong thing. "Adalwin was never a hunter, but a collector."
"A collector?" You ask, confusion spreading across your face.
"What's the difference?" Derek asks. "A hunter collects werewolves or any supernatural kind, and then ends up collecting their lives."
"Good point," Scott nods in agreement. "So, what is the difference?"
"The difference is, is that Adalwin didn't collect supernatural beings and then collect their lives... instead he collected their freedom," Dr Deaton explicates and turns over the paper to a page full of writing.
"What language is that?" Scott asks.
"It's Archaic," Dr Deaton replies. "Fortunately I can read it."
"That's great," you say. "But how does a book full of writing about werewolves help us with Stiles?"

Doctor Deaton grins as he turns the page over, which includes another image.

"What is that?" Derek asks.
"The creature of the night," Dr Deaton replies.
"Which is?" Scott asks.

Doctor Deaton pauses for a second as he notices the look on your face.

"A vampire," you say to yourself quietly.
"Wait a minute, a what?" Derek asks.
"A vampire," you tell them.

Derek and Scott look at you with confused expressions, but Doctor Deaton holds that grin on his face as he's impressed by your knowledge.

"The creature of the night is a vampire," Dr Deaton repeats.
"Ha yeah right," Derek laughs.
"What, and werewolves don't exist either?" You ask sarcastically.

Derek pauses and thinks for a moment. "Well, how come we've never seen them then?"
"Yeah," Scott agrees. "How come we've never like, you know, smelt them or something?"
"It says here," Dr Deaton answers. "That vampires have no smell and are almost impossible to catch."
"Wow," Scott says impressed.
"Yeah, wow," Derek astonishingly agreeing with Scott's surprise.
"You see," Dr Deaton begins. "This isn't just a book about werewolves, it's a book about every supernatural creature that had ever been discovered."