Fury of the Night

Sarah:

Oh, this was going to be fun. We were ghost hunting, and with how pale my skin and my hair being this weird, it meant that I looked like a ghost myself in my black t-shirt dress and long coat. We knocked on the door of the supposedly haunted house.

A woman answered it, and we jumped out at her. "Boo! Hello, we're looking for a ghost." I smiled, and she looked terrified as another man moved closer, looking a little angry.

"And you are?"

Clara grinned, gripping the umbrella that we'd used to get through the rain from the TARDIS to the his. "Ghostbusters."

"I'm the Doctor." He held up his psychic paper, his hand on my hip as he grinned. Oh this was the fun part of this.

The man frowned again, looking at the paper. "Doctor what?"

"If you like." He shrugged. "This is my partner Lady Sarah Lake of Inverness, and this is Clara." He ran over to the tables of equipment, looking at everything. "Ah, but you are very different. You are Major Alec Palmer. Member of the Baker Street Irregulars, the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Specialised in espionage, sabotage and reconnaissance behind enemy lines. You're a talented watercolourist, professor of psychology and ghost hunter. Total pleasure. Massive."

The woman spoke up then, still looking terrified. "Actually, you're wrong. Professor Palmer spent most of the war as a POW."

"Actually, that's a like told by a very brave man involved in very secret operations. The type of man who keeps a Victoria Cross in a box in the attic, eh? But you know that, because you're Emma Grayling, the Professor's companion." I smiled, walking over to shake her hand as she stared at in me in wonder. 

"Assistant." Ooo, er.

The Doctor raised his eyebrows, or lack of them at her. "It's 1974. You're the assistant and non-objective equipment. Meaning psychic."

I nodded at him, kissing his cheek. "Getting that. Bless you, though."

"Relax, Emma." Palmer said, comforting his Empath. "He's Military Intelligence, and she's his partner. So, what is all this in aid of?"

"Health and safety." I agreed, shaking hands. "Yeah, the Ministry got wind of what's going on down here. Sent me to check that everything's in order."

He really didn't like the sound of that. "They don't have the right."

The Doctor decided he wanted to be embarrassing then, doing yet another of his stupid accents that he sucked at. "Don't worry, guv'nor, I'll be out of your hair in five minutes. Oh! Oh, look. Oh, lovely. The ACR 99821. Oh, bliss. Nice action on the toggle switches. You know, I do love a toggle switch. Actually, I like the word toggle. Nice noun. Excellent verb. Oi, don't mess with the settings." He did a sweep with the sonic, and frowned at it.

"What's that?"

He gave a small shrug. "Gadget. Health and safety. Classified, I'm afraid. You know, while the back room boffins work out a few kinks."

Clara had been mostly quiet until now, looking at the massive old house. "What's it telling you?"

"It's telling me that you haven't been exposed to any life-threatening transmundane emanations." The Doctor replied, and then turned back to Emma and Palmer. "So, where's the ghost? Show me the ghost. It's ghost time."

The Doctor lead the way with a three pronged candelabra as we went down the corridor, Palmer still peeved we were here on his investigation. "I will not have this stolen out from under me, do you understand."

"Er, no, not really, sorry." I smiled a little holding my boyfriends hand as he lead the way, the candle not all that bright, yet I could still see. Weird, that was a first.