CHAPTER XIV

December 24

Marian woke up to the smell of coffee. She always loved the smell of coffee but now that she is pregnant, she hated the smell of of it, sometimes it makes her want to throw up especially in the morning. This morning is no different. Today is her 5th month. She was supposed to be enjoying the morning before Christmas but she has this knot in her stomach that won't go away. 

She showered and went to the dining room. She was surprised to see Chris having breakfast with her family.

"Marian, come and have breakfast," her Dad said. Marian sat on the empty chair which is beside Chris.

Her sister Maegan is there too. She just arrived from Cebu where she manages the Cebu Branch of their restaurant. Her sons Macko and Macky are playing on the lawn now with their nanny. Maegan's Congressman Husband went to The Mansion because President NoyNoy is in Baguio for his Christmas vacation.

"Tumaba ka." Maegan told her

"HUH?!"

"Sabi ko tumaba ka. Mukha ka ngang buntis eh."

The family looked at her and Maegan. Her Mom told Maegan to stop kidding her sister since Chris is there and "Nakakhiya yang sinasabi mo Maegan. Nakakahiya kay Chris." Their mother said.

That was the cue that Chris was waiting for. He has been rehearsing what he would tell his foster parents. He was ready...is ready to suffer the consequences of what he and Marian have done.

"Dad, Mommy," Chris said

Marian looked at him and wanted to run. Chris might have seen it coming so he took Marian's hand and pinned it between his hand and his leg.  Marian wanted to scream and tell him to stop. She wanted the ground to open  and swallow them both. But it did not happen. Maybe if she closes her eyes, everything would go away. everything would be alright.

"Last week Marian came to PMA and told me a news that I would never forget as long as I live." Chris looked at Marian and squeezed her hand. Marian darted a hateful look at him and he knows that when this is over, he will have to explain to her that this is the best thing to do.

"What was the news?" asked Maegan who seemed to be waiting for what Chris is supposed to tell them.

"She told me that she is pregnant"

"WHAT!?" her Mother and Dad asked in a loud voice

"WHen?"

"HOW?"

"WHO is the father?

Her parents asked the questions almost at the same time.

Marian looked at them. Confused of what question to answer.

Her Mother might have understood her dilemma so she told her husband to ask his questions one at a time

"Who is the father?" her Dad asked.

"Chris" Marian softly answered. She was looking down at her tummy that are now starting to show no matter how bulky her clothes are.

"When did you learn about it?" He asked Chris

"Last week, Sir" Chris said still holding Marian's hand

"When did you start having this relationship?"

"We are..." Marian tried to tell her Father that they are not dating. They are not even in a relationship. As a matter of fact, this was accidental. But Chris answered

"Since July Sir."

"What is your plan now? PMA do not allow their cadets to have children, right?" Marian's dad asked. "At ano ang plano mo kay Marian at sa magiging anak niyo?"

"Magiging mga anak, Sir"

"What?" This time its Marian's mom who spoke. "Twins?"

"Yes, Mommy. Two boys." Marian said.

"Ang galing mo naman. Ano plano mo?"

"Daddy, hindi pa namin napag uusapan ni Chris yan." Marian answered

"Sir, I would like to marry your daughter and be a father to your grandchildren"

"Pero..." Marian tried to protest but Chris cut her off.

"I am willing to resign from the Academy sir just so I could give my children name and Marian."

"You are willing to do that? Mahal mo ba naman ang anak ko?"

"Yes sir, I love your daughter. And Yes, I am willing to give up everything for them, sir." Chris answered seriously.

Marian started crying.