CHAPTER XII

She went back home to their house.

Marian told her parents she just went to visit her grandparents. She did not explain to them why. Her parents wanted to ask her but they know Marian, she does not want to discuss her problems with them.

Her mother called Chris right away to inform him that marian was back and if it was okay not to tell her that he knows about her leaving the house. Chris promised his foster mother that he will not let Marian know.

At four months pregnant, Marian, did not move as quickly as she used to. So when her phone rang, she needed five rings to answer it.

"I just realized bespren na matagal na kitang hindi nakikita. Why don't you come here tommorow?" it was Chris, "i've missed you. Hindi kasi ako pwede mag privilege ngayon eh. Say you'll come."

Panic instantly filling her, Marian replied immediately. "I can't!"

"Pero bespren naman eh---"

Marian drew a deep breath. She'd known this day would come sometime. Saturday was as good as any to reveal her secret. "Sige punta ako pero baka malate ako "

"Bakit ka malelate?" Chris asked

May doctor's appointment ako sa Sabado eh para sa sonogram ko. " Marian said

"Sonogram? ano yun?"

"I Google mo kaya," Marian said.

"Sige! sige! Kaso wala pa yatang load yung Globe Tattoo eh" Chris sighed.

"Haynaku! Sige at may gagawin pa ako."

"Okay' I'll see you Saturday."

After she hung up the phone, Marian sighed deeply. It was almost a relief that she finally had to tell Chris about it. It was inevitable. She couldn't avoid him forever. Besides, she needed Chris on her side when she faced her parents about it.

She has been hiding mostly in her room pretending to read and review or wearing these bulky sweaters and jackets pretending to be cold. Thank God the chilly November weather is helping her with her alibi. Plus the fact that Mommy and Daddy have been so busy with the business that they get to spend less time at the house.

But first thing first. How was she going to tell Chris that she was pregnan and had every itention of raising her baby alone.

SATURDAY

Chris was lying in his bunks waiting for Marian to call. She said she was going to be late but she never told him that she would be this late. It's already fourteen three zero and she's not yet here. She used to come see me during Saturday inspection.

"Bok, anjan na bisita mo. Nakasabay ko papunta dito galing ako commissary. Hintay daw siya sa grand stand. Parang thmaba siya pero maganda pa rin." Leo said when he entered their room.

"Huh?" Chris was surprised he got up immediately and started changing his gen-ath uniform to dress gray. When done, he rushed out of their barracks to go to the grand stand where Marian was waiting.

He walked to where she was standing. she was wearing jeans and a long sweater over a pink blouse. She did gain a little weight. But she looked tired.

"Bes?" he said when he was just inches away from her.

Marian swung aroundto face him. She wanted tohug him but she remembered, BAWAL. Cadets are not allowed to public display of affection (PDA). She's missed him the passed few weeks.

"How are you?" Chris asked

"Fine,"Marian said as turned to walk again.

"You looked like you've put back on the weight you lost,"Chris commented. "I'm concerned."

Ignoring the remark, Marian continued walking. "san ba tayo pwede magusap na walang masyadong tao pero nakaupo...Ayoko sa Kissing Rock ha, ang baho dun."

"Ang arte naman nito. Sa Boodle Bar na lang at mukhang di ka pa kumakmain. Maraming taop pero hindi sila lalapit sa atin." Chris answered.

"Ang daming tapo dun...pero sige na nga Baron dun na lang." Marian hesitantly agreed.

When they were seated at the farthest corner at the Boodle Bar with their orders

"I have a lot to confess," Marian began in a low soft voice that Chris was to srain his neck to hear what she was saying. He was sitting beside her. "First of all, I missed you," she smiled.

"I missed you too" Chris whispered back.

My other piece of news is..... is a little more dramatic. You see, I'm pregnant." she whispered again.

That whisper seemed too loud for Chris that he almost stood uyp and ran.He looked at Marian with shocked expression. He did not know what to feel. He felt like he accepted the Ice Bucket challenge and a pail of iced water was poured over him.

"I did not tell you because I needed your help...I told you because I wanted you to know ....being the father....and to share in my happiness."

"Marian..." Chris was lost for words.

" Look, I did not want to come early and shock you in front of everyone else...and I know you can not have a child during cadetship to think you are the Baron and...."

"MArian!" Chris stopped her. "I i do not know what to say. This is the first time. But that does not mean I do not care." Chris' hands were shaking, "I'm going to be a father.." he whisperedsoftly. Strill with disbelief.

"Believe me I was afraid when I checked...wait, I thought you checked SONOGRAM on Google?"Marian asked him.

"Nakalimutan ko eh,"Chris boyishly smiled for the first time since she told him the news.

Chris looked at Marian in disbelief, If she was,it was early in her pregnancy; she wasn't showing much.

"How far long are you?"

"Almost five months."

"Buntis ka na nung hop?"

"Malamang, July to eh...September yung hop."

"Ah kaya pala ang sungit mo nun, gusto mo lagi mo akong inaaway. Iyakin ka pa."

"Hindi ah!" Marian playfully hit his hand.

Chris looked at her. Her brown hair was pulkled back in her omni present braid, and she looked a little peaked. Whethere from morning sickness or from the drive from Baguio to here, he didn't know. Against his better judgment he noticed her breasts, fuller now as they readied for the baby she'd soon nurse there. He stopped the mental picture before it started to take shape.

Suddenly a strange look came over her face and felt her slightlly protruding stomach

"BAkit? What's wrong?" Chris asked, concerned.

"Wala. I think I just felt the baby move for the first time, " she beamed at him.

"grabeh, tinakot mo ako dun ah. Okay yun di ba? yung pag move ng baby?"

"Yes i'm sure. I'll ask the doctor on Wednesday."

"What did it feel like?" Chris asked her.

She gave a confused look, "What?"

"What diod the movement feel like?"

"Oh kind of like a butterfly. Just a fluttering."

"Is that normal?"

"I guess.

Marian opened the manila envelope she was holding since she arrived. She took two print outs of what looked like x rays.

"These are the copies of the sonogram. The nurse printed out for me." she handed the pictures to Chris.

Chris noted that his hands were shaking as he took the picitures. He looked at it. It showed two. Two baby boys. He looked at her questioningly

"Two?"

"Yes. Twins"

"Oh my God! Oh my God! Marian. This is so wonderful. Grabe gusto kitang yakapin at sumigaw sigaw dito...." his voice trailed off as he looked at the two small shapes...his sons.