EPILOGUE

After his mistahs said goodbye to him and some underclassmen came to congratulate his being a father, Chris left his room to stay at the Holding Center (the place where clearing out cadets/ resigning cadets and discharged cadets were hold before they are released from the Academy and this is also the place where clearing in/reporting cadets are held) Before he went, Leo hugged him. he told the latter that he should go see his godsons after graduation. Leo and the rest of the Brigade Staff were to become godfathers.

He was thankful that Senior Tac made the necessary arrangements so he could leave for the hospital immediately.

As Chris walked to the room where Marian is confined at the St Louis University Hospital, he could not explain what he was feeling. What will he tell her and her parents. Chris talked to his parents when he learned that Marian was rushed to the hospital. He knew that they were disappointed of him. His mother will not talk to him after. He made them promise to go see Marian. He did not know if they went. When he left the Academy, he went straight to Marian's family hotel, where his family is billeted. He left his bags and the rest of his stuff at the hotel's front desk not bothering to ask if his family were there. The front desk supervisor saw him and he immediately signalled a waiting bell boy to get Chris' stuff. Mario, the supervisor knows Chris and both have built a strong friendship over the years. Chris is even one of the godfathers of Mario's only son.

When he turned a corner he was surprised to see his family huddled in a crowd at the nursery window. His father saw him first. He waved at him and told him to hurry up. They all looked at him. He noticed that Marian's parents were with them. Chris walked to the crowd. His brothers shook his hand and congratulated him. His father hugged him. His mother went to him crying, he hughed her back and comforted her and told her that everything will be alright. He then turned to his foster parents, Judge Guerrero went to him and hugged him.

"Chris why are you here?" She asked him wondering why he was there when she knows that the graduating cadets are supposed to be inside barracks now at this time. Chris did not answer. He turned to his foster father to shake his hand but Mr Guerrero hugged him instead of shaking his hand. His foster father had a feeling what Chris did and he could not stay mad at at this young man who has always been honorable since he met him until now.

His family prodded him to look at his sons. Chris looked at the two squirming little boys inside the incubator. They were not as tiny as he thought they would be. They looked as if they have completed their term. He knows his boys will be tall men. His foster mother explained that they would be incubated for a a good whole twenty four hours since they have not completed their term.

They are wearing eye patches to protect their eyes and their genitals are covered too. Their wrinkly skins are a little bit yellowish but according to Judge Guerrero, they are okay. They have loud voice too, "Probably will become Barons too when they decide to enter PMA," she said.

Chris smiled at this. He asked the crowd, "Where is Marian? How is she?"

"She's in her room, she was sleeping when we left her. Joanna is with her. Come let's go see," his foster mother said.

" We'll wait for you here, we're in the mood to celebrate, double celebration for the twins and Chris' graduation," his foster father announced and the rest of his family agreed except for Father Carlos who looked at Chris.

Chris and Judge Guerrero went to peek inside Marian's room
And found her sleeping still. Chris stared at her and suddenly had the urge to kiss her. He knew right at this moment, his decision to leave the Military is this woman and those wrinkly little guys in the nursery. His heart is bursting with love for this woman who is peacefully sleeping. He approached her bed and bend over. He kissed her forehead and said "I love you" for several times.

"Chris, we better go with them before Marian wakes up. " Judge Guerrero whispers to him. He looked at Marian and he nodded his head. Before they left, he kissed her once again.

They saw the rest of the family crowded in front of the hospital. They decided to celebrate at the restaurant of the Guerrero's which is also a walking distance to Mark's Hotel where Chris family are billeted.

As eeryone was settled and the orders have been placed, Mr & Mrs Guerrero sat with Chris and his family. it was Mr Guerrero who asked Chris first.

"Chris, it was good that PMA allowed you to come out tonight. Isn't it graduation preparation starts at 7 or what? Kailan ang balik mo?"

"Yeah anak, what time will you be going back, we'll drive you back there," Judge Guerrero said.

Chris looked at them. And he looked at his parents. He saw the worried look in his mother's eye while he saw pride in his father's. Chris bowed his head and cleared his throat.

"Hindi na po ako babalik dun,"it was a whisper but everyone heard it.

"Bakit?" his Mom asked. The tone that she always used when they commited a misconduct when they were little boys. The tone that Chris and his brothers feared when they were young.

"I had to resign. Hindi ko kayang magsinungaling dun. Kung hindi nanganak si Marian ngayon pwede ko pang itago na buntis siya. Pero nanganak siya, that makes me a father, NOT qualified to be commissioned as an officer in the Armed Forces," Chris looked at his mother who was shocked at the news. He turned to his father who was listening to him and the pride he saw in his eyes has never left there. He saw the understanding and love. That made Chris cry silently. He tried to stop the tears from falling but it won't. He wiped them and continued, " I do not want my sons to percieve me to be dishonest and a coward. Gusto ko kahit na ganun ang nangyari, I want them to see me as a man of integrity. Oo nga magiging opisyal ako, baka maging heneral pa, pero sa mata ng mga anak ko manloloko ako, niloko ko ang military, niloko ko ang gobyerno. Gusto ko na pag lumaki sila alam nila na sila at Nanay nila ang pinili ko at hindi ang pangarap at ambisyon ko. I want them to know that I am not selfish." he stopped talking but he couldn't stop the tears from coming.

"Gusto ko malaman nila na ginawa ko kung ano ang tama," he continued.

He felt someone patted his back. That that someone hugged him. He turned and saw his mother.

"It's okay Anak, we're all here for whatever decision you have or will have. We love you Chris. I love you Anak," his mother whispered.

He hugged his mother. His father came to pat his back. When he looked over the rest of their crowd, he saw his foster mother crying and his foster father's hand rubbing the back of his foster mother, comforting her. His brothers were sniling especially his Kuya Christian. Father Carlos seriously looking on when his other brother Kuya Clark nudged him to smile.

When everyone settled, his foster father told him, they will talk about him getting a job. He will not allow his grandsons to go hungry because he doesn't have work. That earned a loud laughter from the crowd.

One down, one to go. Chris knew that the battle has not won yet. He still has to talk to Marian. He still has to know if she loves him. He still wants to know if she is willing to accept him in her and their sons' lives. The battle has just started.

END OF THE BARON

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Next Series will be THE BARON'S SONS