CHAPTER XVII

ZERO SEVEN HUNDRED Hours, Chris was on his way back to PMA. The Senior Tactical Officer called him and asked him to head back to PMA before zero eight three zero because the top ten graduating cadets will be presented to the media and would be interviewed as well. Chris graduating as Number One and the highest ranking Cadet (Baron) needs to be present. The cool foggy morning of Baguio could not muddle the decision Chris has decided. Although Marian and her parents told him that they would like him to graduate even to the point of waiting two more weeks before he could tell everyone that he will be a father soon.

When the taxi entered the grounds of the Philippine Military Academy, he realized that this was his home for four year already. This hallowed grounds became his safe grounds. His dream of becoming a soldier is just a few days away to fulfillment. It has been a childhood dream to become and Army officer, and right now this dream is starting to crumble in front of his. As the taxi approached his barracks, he saw the press have started to arrive. They were talking to some officers that were there already. He got off the taxi and rushed inside. The cadets were busy preparing as he got in the barracks. The graduating cadets have already started packing their stuff and sending them to their homes. Some of their relatives have come to get the stuff that they have packed. Some, like his roommates have given away some of their uniforms. Chris in the other hand have packed his stuff and have sent it to Zamboanga already. His uniforms are still hanging in his locker and so are the other stuff that he would still be needing for the next two more weeks.

As he was changing to his dress gray, the uniform he will use for the interview, Leo came in.

"Oh nandito ka na? Kararating mo lang, o kanina pa?" Leo stripped his civilian clothes and wrapped a towel on his waist. He took his soap and shampoo and waited for Chris to answer

"Kararating lang. Bakit di ka ba naligo sa bahay ng foster parents mo?" Chris looked at his best friend for 4 years now.

"Walang tubig eh, tapos tumawag si Senior Tac so sabi ko dito na lang ako maliligo. SIge mamya na langtayo kwento," and Leo rushed out to take a bath.

Chris was inserting the paper in the folder when Leo got in.

"Ano yan?"

"Resignation letter, ko"

Leo looked at him, "Sigurado ka na ba diyan?"

"Oo!" Chris said and stood up from his table

"Kailan ba siya due? Pag isipanmo yang mabuti." Leo started dressing up.

"Sa Lastweek of April or first week of May"

"Wala pa. Hindi pa siya nanganganak pag graduate natin. Di ba sa batas di pwedeng magsundalo ang isang Pilipino kung siya ay may asawa o anak na. So legally, hindi ka pa tatay."

"Ano sabi ni Marian?"

"Ayaw niya. Ipagpatuloy ko daw dito. Di naman daw sila maghahabol eh. Kung pwedeng lumayo, lalayo daw sila para maiiwas ako sa problema"

"Ganun naman pala eh. Eh di huwag ka mag resign. Hindi ka pa naman Tatay pag graduate natin eh. Malayo pa. Tsaka yung iba nga jan may anak na, Yung ibang graduates na nauna na sa atin may mga tatay na din nun kadete pa." Leo lengthely said. "Tsaka Bok, ano naman ang maipagmamalaki mo sa mga anak mo kung magreresign ka di ba?"

"Pero malalaman nila nagsinungaling ako"

"Sino kasi ang nagsabi na nagsisinungaling ka? Walang ka namang anak atwala kang asawa kaya, di ka nanloko" Leo continued, " Ano trabaho mo pag labas mo dito? Manganganak girlfriend ano ang pambayad sa ospital,? Nganga!"