24 HOURS BEFORE GRADUATION

ZERO four three zero, Chris was awake when the plebes got in their room. They are in the room to "harana" the First Class, the Immaculates (Fourth Year Cadet/Graduating Cadets) the traditional morning ritual that fourth classmen (First year cadets) do for one whole year.

"All my life, without a doubt I'll give you all my life..." Was the first lines of their song. The cadets have already been singing that song for almost a year now. The song he requested them to sing every harana. The song he dedicates for Marian. He took his phone under his pillow and called Marian. She answered at the first ring.

"Hullo?" She said

Chris did not answer. Instead he let her listen to the song

"...there was a time, when I just thought that I would loose my mind, you came along and then the sun did shine. Shining on our way....."

There was silence on her part until the last chord of the song.

"Hello?" Chris said

He heard her clear her throat before she spoke, "Hello?"

"Are you okay?"

"Oo naman." But Chris could hear that she was crying.

"Umiiyak ka?"

"Hindi. Okay lang ako. Kakagising ko lang kasi" she lied

"Last na siguro na harana na maririnig mo yun from PMA," Chris said with a break in his voice.

"Bakit, di na ba sila manghaharana bukas sa graduation niyo" she asked confusely

"Di na siguro nila ako haharanahin. " Chris said

They talked for a few more minutes before they hang up.

Twenty four hours more before their graduation. He stood up to change into the last uniform/attire that he wanted to wear before they graduate from the Academy.

For their last morning mess (breakfast) , a tradition that has been passed on to the next class he saw
some of his classmates wearing boxes (the large boxes from the grocery store) some wearing dark glasses, some wearing funny outfits. Some of his classmates came to mess wearing Batman costumes. Some came in with their native Igorot costumes. Some came in athletic uniform. Some came in their sleeping uniform. Chris on the other hand came in dressed in civilian.

This year their class decided to have their class last morning mess a day before graduation. He was wearing a casual polo shirt, a gift from his mother. His Jack Purcell sneakers, a gift from Marian to match her own Jack Purcell. And jeans that he owns for three years now.

The morning mess with the usual announcements and traditions went through without any glitches. As the cadets marched back to their barracks, Chris heard someone calling his name. He glanced to check who it was and he smiled when he saw his family waving at him. His parents standing there so proud.

As he entered his room, he changed immediately to the parading uniform because today will be the awarding of achievements of some cadets, in the civilian yniversities this is called, Recognition Day. In his drawer where he put his phone he did not see that there have been 8 missed calls from his foster mother.

After the parade where Chris recieved some awards, the underclassmen chased the graduating cadets. It is a tradition in the Academy that graduating cadets are dunked in the icy water of the fishpond near the sundial. Chris was carried by some plebes while some second classmen removed his full dress coat and two yearlings are removing his shoes.

They carried him to the sundial where the graduating cadets are dunked as part of tradition. They raised him up their shoulders and some of them tried to tickle him. Chris did not see who were there or who were shouting catcalls at him. He was dunked in the ice cold water near the sundial white pants and all. There were cheering and shouting. When he hit the icey cold water, he saw that some of his classmates were already dunked. Leo was sitting on the fixed rocks in the sidelines of the pool dripping wet. He was with some of the Brigade Staff. He swam to them.

When they got out from the pool, he saw his family. His parents and brothers were there even Father Carlo. He approached them and hugged his mother. They were all happy and Chris could feel how proud they all are.

His mother was so happy telling him about his new dress. She was going to wear it tomorrow on his graduation. Chris just smiled at her. He remembered the night of the Ring Hop, his mother went up the mock ring with him. He asked his Dad to go with them but his Dad was so happy that he had tears in his eyes the whole night. He told Chris that it's his night and his Dad wanted his Mom to be her night too. Dripping wet he hugged his parents and his siblings. They hugged him back without complaining.

After some picture taking, he then excused himself and he ran to his barracks to change. Lunch is served in the room today. The Mess Hall is being cleaned up and fixed for the graduation tomorrow.

His family brought with them his other stuff to the hotel. His closet is now empty. Except for the Full Dress for the graduation tomorrow, sleeping uniform, and civilian clothing there is nothing more in there. he opened his drawer and saw the folder where he placed his resignation letter. As he was about to close his drawer, his phone rang.

"Hello?" he said. The number is not registered in his phone.

"Hello Chris" he heard his Foster Mother's voice at the other end.

"Hello, Ma. bakit po? Si Marian?"

"Chris," he could hear that his foster mother was crying or crying, "Chris, Marian is in the delivery room now. They are going to do the CS on her mediately. We went to the Doctor and she immediately wanted Marian to the hospital. There is only one heartbeat. They could not hear the other baby's heartbeat Chris."

Chris put down the phone after he talked to Judge Guerrero. He told her he will go see Marian but Judge Guerrero told him to stay in PMA and pray for his babies.

Chris in his athletic uniform, took the folder of his resignation letter and went to the flirtation walk. Cadets usually go there to pray. He wanted to ask God to save his babies and Marian. To keep them safe. He went there to pray and ask for forgiveness for whatever he has done. He asked the Lord to show him what to do. After he prayed, he was supposed to go back to his room when he saw the Commandant of Cadets walking with his dog. He approached him,

"Good afternoon Sir, permission to speak Sir,"

"Speak."

"Sir, i have thought of this a million times before approaching you sir and I have come up with the same decision sir," Chris handed his resignation letter to the Commandant, Brig Gen Castro.

"What's this?" he handed the leash to Chris and took the blue folder. He read it and looked at him.

" Bakit ngayon mo lang napagdesisyonan to? Graduation na bukas oh,"

"Sir, I was going to keep it a secret but at this moment, Marian is in the OR Sir. The OB Gyne found out that there is only a single heartbeat sir... Marian is, were heaving twins Sir."

"Go on," Gen Castro prodded

"And I have been bothered by ny conscience since I learned about it last December Sir. She was 5 months pregnant"

"Nagrereklamo ba ang babae? Taga san ba to?"

"She's from Baguio Sir. His parents told me to do what I know is best. They are the owner of Mark's Hotel and the chains of Filipino Cuisine restos sir. "

"ANO?" Brig Gen Castro was shocked "P.I. Si Marian Guerrero ba? Inaanak konyun ah. Kamusta na siya?"

"I don't know yet sir. I would like to go and check on her and my boys. But I have to do this right Sir even for this time,"

"I will not ask you to stay because that would be tollerating. kaya na yan ng Deputy mo. For the meantime go and process your papers habang i inform ko muna si Supe (Superintendent) tungkol dito"

"Thank you Sir. Permission to leave Sir?"