Chapter III

When Marian saw the taxi, she did not expect it to be Chris. He did not tell her that he would be in Baguio much less their house. She went down from her room to the door to let Chris in. She was excited to see Chris. The last time was when he came back from his hometown in Zamboanga. She did not know that he would treat her for "boodles" this early.

She opened the door with a wide smile.

Chris put a cheerful smile on his face as he headed for the door where a smiling Marian was standing. He did not want Marian to know he was upset much more heart broken.

"Hey, bespren, gawa mo dito? Aga yata ang panlilibre mo ah'" Marian said cheerfully

"Hey Bes," Chris said.

"Something wrong Chris?" Marian asked Chris. Her expression became very serious.

"Wala naman, Bakit?"

"Hay parekoy, ngiti mo pa lang alam ko na na may problema ka. So, come on spill it out."

Chris looked at MArian.

"Lauryn,"

"Why what's wrong again with Lauryn?"

"I saw her with another guy. They were kissing."

Marian was shocked but recovered fast "Sabi ko na kasi sa yu na hiwalayan mo na yun eh. Ayan naunahan ka tuloy,"

"I love her bes. I love her so much" Chris said.

"Eh ungas ka pala eh. Kung ako yan hiwalay na agad." Marian was shaking her hand at Chris

"Maybe I should listen to what she has to say, eh Bes?"

"Ewan ko sa yo Basta alam ko, ungas ka pag di mo yan hiniwalayan."

That was exactly what Chris expected Marian to say, but in Chris' fragile state it was more that he could handle. He turned away and went to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator so Marian would not see the tears that sprang to his eyes. Is Marian right about Lauryn? Maybe Ive been taking her too much for granted that is why she found another guy.

I love her. I should give her a chance. Marian is just exaggerating stuff so I guess I better call her again, Chris said to himself.

Marian was eyeing Chris when she saw Chris dialing Lauryn's number.

"Yes baby, its me." Chris said on the phone

Silence

"Ok Baby, I love you ," Chris said before hanging up the phone. He looked at Marian who could not believe what he just heard.

"Bahala ka na nga Ibarra," Marian said while preparing lunch for her best friend.

"She wants us to talk about what happened. I want to hear her side. Gusto ko malaman bakit ganun. Okay lang naman yun di Bes? Mahal ko siya eh." 

"Okay kung yan ang gusto mo Ibarra, okay lang na ganyan. Kumain ka na nga at may pasok pa ako mamaya." Marian told her friend

"Di ba summer? bakit ka may pasok?"

"Sa restaurant, di ba nga waitress ako ng Tatay at Ate ko?"

After lunch, Marian drove Chris to the house of Lauryn. They hugged each other like they usually do. Marian wished Chris Good luck, and she left after. What is good with Marian is she does not disrespect the decisions of Chris. She is there to listen and to say her opinion on the matter but never did she disrespect Chris, whether his desicion is right of wrong.

 When Lauryn saw Chris at the driveway, she opened the door and let him in. She looked at the man whom she loved for six whole months. When Chris kissed her on the lips, she turned her  face so the kiss landed on her cheek.

"I'm sorry Baby for what I did this morning." Chris said.

"i have something to tell you Chris."

"What is it Baby?"

Lauryn waited for the maid to finish putting down the snack before she talked.

"The guy you saw this morning with me is Jojo. He is a Med Student at SLU. Siya yung parating kasakasama ko pag wala ka. He listens to me when you can't. He is always there. When you did not attend my birthday to meet my parents, it was then that I realized that I don't need you in my life."

Lauryn paused and looked away from Chris' stare.

" I realized, I don't love you as much as I love Jojo now. I'm sorry Chris, this relationship is not working anymore."

Chris was dumbfounded. He could not think straight. What is Lauryn trying to say? That they are over? Chris could not think straight. He wanted to beg her not to do this but he also wanted to leave there as fast as he could.

Lauryn  handed a paper bag to him.

"These are your stuff that you left in my room. The ones that you gave me, thank you for everything Chris."

Chris took the bag and stood up. He did not even said goodbye to Lauryn anymore. Lauryn was not even crying. She was dry eyed the whole time that they were talking.

*******

Please vote. Thank you.