Chapter XV

JANUARY

After spending the holidays with Marian's family, Chris went back to PMA. He called his parents from Marian's house telling them that he can not go home for Christmas. Chris is the youngest of 4 boys. Two of older brothers are married and the brother that Chris follows is a priest who was ordained only a couple of years ago. His parents are both school teachers. His brother was sponsored by the brother of his Mom that is why he was able to enter priesthood. The two older brothers work as bank teller and at the Electric Cooperative in their place respectively.

Chris was worried that his mother might be sad for his not coming home for the 2nd time since he became a cadet. First was when he was a plebe in the Academy. But his mother told him that his brothers and their families will be there. Even Fr. Carlos will be with them.

He wanted to tell his family about the news, about Marian, about his sons but he wanted to tell his family about them in the right time and when he has done what is right.

When Leo arrived and saw Chris sleeping in his bunks, he woke him up and asked him what happened during the holidays.

"Nasabi ko na sa mga magulang niya'"

"Ano sabi? Sinapak ka ba? Ano?"

"Hindi naman. Hindi ako sinaktan pero hindi rin sila natuwa. Si Daddy hindi ako kinausap ng buong stay ko sa kanila. Bawal din akong matulog sa room ni Marian. Dun ako natutulog sa room ko."

"Eh, ungas ka rin naman ano? Alangan namang payagan ka ng ganun ganun lang/ Buti nga pinakain ka pa nila dun eh"

"Oo nga eh."

"Eh si Marian, ano sabi?"

"Wala, Para ngang hindi niya alam ang nangyayari eh. Sunud sunuran na lang siya sa akin, sa mga magulang niya pati sa Ate niya."

"Pero si Mommy, siya ang kumakausap sa akin. Siya yung nakikita kong nagsasabi kay Marian kung anong gagawin. At sumama din ako sa doctor niya nung nagpatingin siya."

"Ano feeling?"

"HIndi ko maintindihan eh. Parang tuwangtuwa ka na takot na takot na sabihin nila sa yo na hindi naman mga bata yung nasa tiyan niya."

"Ungas ka rin ano? Tindi ng trip mo."

"Ganun nga eh"

"Teka ano ngayon ang plano mo?"

"Pakasalan siya after graduation. Yun sana ang sasabihin ko sa Daddy niya kaso di naman ako kinakausap. Iniwasan nga niya ako the whole time eh. Gusto ko ngang umalis na nun at maghotel kaso pinigilan naman ako ni Mommy. Gulong gulo nga ako eh."

Naawa at nalungkot si Leo para sa kanyang kaibigan.Matinong tao si Chris. Hindi siya kailan man naging mayabang sa PMA. Ni minsan hindi niya nakitang nagagalit ng walang rason. Alam ni Leo na hindi basta basta ang pinagdadaanang problema ni Chris ngayon.

MESS HALL

"Bok, alam niyo na ba?" tanong ng isang mistah nina Chris

"Ang alin?" ani Leo

"SI Gemini, may nag puntang babae dito kanina kasama yung mga magulang. Nagrereklamo na nabuntis daw niya yun."

"Ha?" saidthe surprised Chris

"Oo, kasi itong si Gemini, ayaw panagutan yung babae kaya yun nagreklamo. Malas niya kasi ang pinuntahan niyang opisyal eh si Capt Soriano kaya wala siyang lusot ngayon," said Chevong

"Pusang alaws! Sayang yun ah. Di ba nasa Top 10 siya?" Leo asked

"Siguro. Pero wala na yun sayang din"

Chris could no longer hear what his classmates were saying because he was already thinking of what might happen to him if Marian and her family would file a complaint against him. Chris decided that he should go talk to Marian's parents soon.

BARRACKS

When he arrived at the barracks from the Mess Hall, he checked his phone. He saw that there were 17 missed calls.He checked it and saw that it was all from his foster mother. He was worried why there were so many missed calls. He called his foster mother immediately.

"Hello Chris."

"Hello Mommy, is everything okay?

"We rushed Marian to the hospital kanina lang. We are still here...."

"Bakit ano nangyari sa kanya Mommy? Okay lang ba siya? kamusta siya? Yung twins kamusta? yung mga anak ko?" Chris worriedly asked his foster Mother.

"She fell from the stairs and she bled. The Doctor said they will have to let her stay here overnight to make sure everything is okay with her and the babies."

"Huh!?" Chris was shocked to hear the news about Marian. He can not do anything. He feels useless at the moment.

"Don't worry Chris. Everything will be okay. They will just observe her tonight. And we can go home tomorrow." Judge Guerrero said.

"Thank you Mommy for telling me. How is she now? May I talk to her?"

"Okay. Here she is."

"Hullo!" Marian said at the other line.

"Marian. how are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I just slipped. I am worried about the babies." Marian started to cry

"Baby don't cry. Huwag kang umiyak. Let's pray nothing happened to them. Importante ngayon, okay ka na." Chris said reaasuringly

"What if something happened to them? It's all my fault, I did not look where I was going," Marian said between sobs. Chris then heard her Mom telling her to stop crying.

"Chris, si Mommy na to. I guess we have to put down the phone na kasi kailangan kumalma si Marian eh. We'll call you tomorrow before we leave the hospital," Judge Guerrero said.

"Thank you Mommy. Please tell her to take care and I love her? Thank you Mommy."

After putting down the phone, Chris could not think straight. He wanted to do something for Marian. He wanted to hug her and reassure her that everything will be alright...but he is too far.