Chapter VIII

Chris woke up to the bugle. It has been a couple of weeks since he last heard from Marian. She has not returned his texts and calls. He parents told him that she was busy with school. It's Thursday today and the cadets were given a privilege so they could invite their drags(dates) for the hop(dinner party) Saturday night.

Chris thought of inviting Marian to the hop. He brought Lauryn when he had his first hop as a second class cadet. But since he is not in a relationship and looks like he has no other way but invite someone to be his drag, it might as well be Marian.

The cadets were allowed to go on privilege after noon mess (lunch). Chris was one of those cadets who went out on privilege. He was not able to ride the privilege bus since he had to finish all his Baron obligations for the day. He rode a taxi to the house of his foster family.

As he got off the taxi, he saw Marian's car at the garage. He smiled to himself and he could not explain the thrill that he felt when he learned that Marian was there. He pressed the doorbell and Manang Joanna, their maid answered it.

"Ay si Chris pala Ma'am" the maid said in a loud voice.

"Chris, come join us here in the kitchen," he heard his foster father called him. He went to the kitchen. Marian was sitting with her parents and looks like they were having meryenda. He shook his Foster Dad's hand and kissed his foster mom's cheek. He went to Marian and kissed her too on her cheek near the edge of her lips. He wanted to kick himself for doing that in front of his foster parents. He sat beside Marian who was so pretty in her yellow blouse and mini skirt.

"How are you? Kamusta ang Baron?" His Dad asked.

"Okay naman Dad. Busy lang masyado" he thanked Joanna when she put down the plate in front of him.

"Marian, bigyan mo si Chris ng food," his foster Mom said. Marian  put some baked mac on his plate with a slice of cake and some potato chicken salad, her specialty. He poured strawberry juice in his glass.

"Thank you," he said to Marian.

She smiled.

"Buti nagpunta ka dito, teka Thursday ngayon. Bakit naka privilege ka? OB?" his Dad asked again

"Inviting privilege Dad," he said while he sipped from his glass. "There is a hop on Saturday and I was going to invite Marian to be my drag on that day. Wala kasing girfriend eh. Wala na rin akong maisip maimbitahan kundi tong supladang to," he teased Marian.

"That's nice. Sige Marian will come " his Mom said

"Excuse me, ako ang pinag uusapan di ba? Hindi ba pwedeng mag object?"

"Marian kawawa naman yang kapatid mo kung di mo samahan. Di bale you will be the prettiest," their Mom said

"Sige na Bes, samahan mo na ako. Pumayag ka na pleease?" Chris said exaggerately.

"Pag iisipan ko pa." Marian seriously said.

"Sa Saturday na yun di ba?" Marian's dad asked.

"Yes Dad," Chris answered.

"Aalis kami ni Mommy niyo, pupunta kami ng Cebu at bibisitahin namin yung restaurant natin dun. Chris bahala ka na sa kapatid mo ha. Ihtid mo yan dito."

"Yes Dad, no problem."

"Aalis na muna kami ng Daddy niyo. Punta ako sa parlor, Daddy is going to the restaurant," sabi ni Mommy.

"Don't worry Chris ihahatid ka namin pabalik ng PMA. Dito ka muna at isasama namin si Joanna. Mag go grocery ng pagkain nila pagpunta namin ng Cebu. "