♫Chapter 16- Stage Lights and Nerve-wracking Nights♫

Chapter Sixteen

"Violet! Would you get your ass over here and stop pounding on that instrument for one second?! I need help with these retarded house chores," Gabe yells from the kitchen, his voice booming over the sweet melody of Sonata.

            My fingers stop dancing and the almost nonexistent smile on my face morphs into a frown. I open my mouth to shout something equally nasty back at him, but my dad beats me to it.

            "Gabriel! I've told you countless times not to use those types of words! Jesus I swear you have the brain of a typical teenage dumbass," my dad yells at him from somewhere upstairs.

            I can't help the grin that spreads across my face as I pull the cover on my piano down over the keys. I swear my father is the largest hypocrite I know. Not to mention I can practically feel Gabe rolling his eyes from the kitchen.

            "You both need to stop using those unkind words," Luke shouts back at them, "It's making my ears bleed!"

            I snort and step into the kitchen, quickly fixing my messy bun so it's tighter and more likely to stay in.

            "If anything, your fingers are bleeding. You really need to take a break from that stupid game," Gabe sneers.

            Luke gasps dramatically, "You're the stupid one!"

            Gabe's eyes darken in anger before he takes a leap at Luke. Luke squeals in surprise, but I'm not slow to jump in front of him and push Gabe to the ground. Gabe groans and hops to his feet with a growing red mark on his face, his eyes lit up with malice.

I cross my arms over my chest and shoot Gabe a disappointed look, "Really dude?"

He shakes his head at me after briefly glaring at Luke halfway hidden behind my back, "Thanks a lot, Violet. Now she'll think I'm ugly."

I raise my eye brow after his retreating form, "She'll? Who is this girl?"

He doesn't answer, only practices his daily ritual of stomping loudly up the stairs and slamming the door, rattling the pictures on the wall.

I sigh and run my hand down my face before turning to Luke, "You okay, little dude?"

"Just great," he mutters, looking away as he plops down on the couch.

I frown before sitting down next to him and placing a comforting hand on his back, "What's wrong with you?"

"I feel like I'm the one always causing you and Gabe to fight," he admits.

My lips part slightly, "Why would you think that?"

"Because you're always sticking up for me and Gabe has the thickest skull so anyone that doesn't agree with him gets the famous glare," Luke pouts.

I sigh, "Look Luke, Gabe is just at an awkward age where the whole freaking universe annoys him. In a couple years he may grow out of his phase and handle situations like this in a more mature way. We all just have to be patient and wait for that day to come."

There's a moment of silence before Luke responds, "Okay. Thanks Vi."

I take him in my arms, returning the hug, "No problem little bro. Now help me clean the rest of the dishes before Blake gets here. Dad wants the house spotless."

Luke nods and scurries off into the kitchen to obey as I bury my face in my palms. Blake is coming in around noon today and my dad woke us all up around seven this morning to prepare for his eldest son's arrival. Also, my piano recital happens to be tonight and I'm already chewing my nails in contemplation about it.