♫Chapter 38- When They Said the Dark Side Had Cookies, They Were Lying♫

Chapter Thirty-Eight

"—surgery went successfully, but naturally, we had a few complications along the way."

            I'm snapped out of my deep slumber as an unknown voice echoes around me. I glance up and lift my hand in front of my face, sighing when I realize it's so dark in this place that I can't even see my hand up close. Slowly, I push myself upward into a seated position, wrinkling my nose at the foul stench of my clothes.

            "What happened in there," someone interrupts, their voice sounding completely distraught and broken. I gasp out loud when I'm able to put a face to the voice. I rise to my feet, my hands outstretched and my eyes wide, looking everywhere to find where the voice is coming from.

            "Daddy," I whisper hesitantly, but I get no response in return.

            "We had two of our finest Neuro and General surgeons working on her brain and her spleen. The glass lodged in her side thankfully did not hit any other organs in the abdominal, but the spleen was ruptured and she was bleeding profoundly from her side. However, she was mostly bleeding internally due to the fact that the wedge of glass was holding most of it in. We removed her spleen because it's not necessary that she have the organ to survive, and Dr. Renny fixed the internal bleeding issue."

            "So you're saying my baby girl's okay," my dad breathes a sigh of relief.

            I jump as the sound of his voice echoes from everywhere, and I'm pretty sure I now have whiplash from glancing rapidly around everywhere to seek him out.

            "Dad," I scream, tears rolling down my face, "Answer me! I love you and I'm alive! I talked to Mom and she told me to come back here instead of going with her! Please!"

            The doctor gives a long pause.

            "What," my dad snaps, all hope leaving his tone, "Whatever you need to say, just say it."

            "The CT scan showed multiple signs of her head being bashed repeatedly against a hard surface. Even though the skull is a very protective barrier for the brain along with the multiple fluids surrounding it, somehow, the impact of the back of her head on the ground was hard enough for skull to crack and the back of her brain to be damaged."

            "Oh no," my dad whispers, and I picture tears flooding his hazel eyes that are so much like mine. My heart yearns to reach out and touch him, comfort him like I did with Mom, and tell him that everything's going to be alright.

            However, times are different now.

            "Like I said before, one of this hospital's best Neuro surgeons, Dr. McKinley, fixed the broken parts of the skull and worked on occipital lobe for hours. All was going well and Dr. McKinley was about to close up, when Violet suddenly had a hemorrhage more towards the front part of her brain. It could've been caused from the impact of her head smacking the steering wheel in the accident, but it was very minor and didn't become serve or noticeable until last minute. Dr. McKinley and her surgical team did what they could, but I'm afraid Violet won't be waking up for a little while."

            "What," my dad suddenly yells, "I thought you did everything you could! What do you mean she won't wake up?"

            "There is a very small chance that she'll wake up, maybe a ten percent chance," he states apologetically, "We've put her on life support to help with her breathing, but there's very minimal brain activity. We would recommend pulling the plug."

            "Pulling the plug," he roars, "Are you all insane? I am not making the decision to kill my daughter when there's still a chance! You said there's still brain activity!"