♫Chapter 43- Stolen Kisses and Surprises♫

Chapter Forty-Three

As soon as the doctor gives me a full checkup,  I have my hour of physical therapy, and I speak with my therapist about my mental state, I'm discharged from the hospital. Guaranteed, I still have to meet with my physical therapist three days a week and meet with my therapist once a week, but at least I get to go back to the comfort of my home.

I ask my dad to drop me off at Julie's so I can speak with her about Juilliard and surprise her. She hasn't come to see me since I woke up which shocked me at first, but then I figured out my dad didn't call her. Of course, I gave him hell about it, but in the end, I decided I'd give her a nice surprise.

I wave to my dad as he drives off then turn around and face the plain brown door decorated with a flowery reef. My ears pick up on the beautiful sound of her grand piano. I close my eyes and allow every part of myself to feel the music. As much as I've been forced to play the keyboard in my hospital room to get my tigers and brain working properly again, it's still not the same as playing in the comfort of Julie's home with her slightly smiling face and relaxed posture as she observes.

The song picks up speed and the person begins to play elegantly and to my utter astonishment, I don't catch one mistake. Whoever that is in there, must be very experienced and talented. I bite my lip as a sudden wave of nerves washes over me and I think of facing Elliot for the first time since our argument. Hearing the expertise behind the notes and the passion behind the music, it could most definitely be Elliot sitting on the bench.

My heart rate speeds up in anticipation as I press a quivering finger to the doorbell. The music automatically halts and I hear Julie call out for him to continue as she pads to the door. The beautiful piano music resumes and The edges of my lips pull into a smile at the heart-warming sound. I take a step back, surveying the door as it creaks open to reveal Julie, whose straight blonde hair has grown significantly over the past three months. She looks down at the door as she opens it before finally looking up to meet my eyes first with a smile, and then with an expression of complete shock.

I smile nervously and throw my arms out. "Surprise?"

Tears well in her brown eyes before she steps outside and pulls me into a bone crushing hug. Her body shakes as she cries into my shoulder and tears brim my own eyes.

"H-how?" She stutters once she pulls back, wiping the tears away from her cheeks.

"I woke up nine days ago and just got discharged today," I explain, "My dad only told me he didn't call you yet yesterday and I figured that once I got discharged, I would come surprise you."

"Well this is certainly one of the best surprises I've ever had," she sniffs, pulling me into another tight hug, "I don't know what I would've done if--"

"Don't go there," I say firmly, "That didn't happen and it won't anytime soon." I reach over to quickly knock on her wooden door and she laughs.

"I've missed you. So has Elliot."

I look away, my cheeks flushing on embarrassment. "The last time we saw each other, I hurt him."

"Honey, that boy has loved you for as long as I can remember. I noticed, but all these years I waited for him to approach me about it. He finally did when something catastrophic happened to you."

"I really wanted to be friends, but I guess that's not an option," I say sadly.

"Why don't you come in and you two can talk things out now?" She offers, and my guess that Elliot was playing piano is confirmed.

"Uh," I begin hesitantly, twiddling my thumbs, "I don't know if that's the best idea. Last time I talked to Elliot, he hated me and I'm not sure his feelings have changed."