♫Chapter 39- No One Can Hear, No Matter How Loud I Scream♫

Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Sh, we don't want to wake her," a voice whispers, echoing around me.

I snap my eyes open and hoist myself into a sitting position, blinking the deep sleep away. I huff, annoyed when I notice that I'm still trapped in this room of darkness where I can hear, but can't see people. I've already wasted enough time panicking about whether I was blind or not, but then I realized that no one can hear me, even when I scream. I've given up trying to get them to listen to me, especially when I woke up a couple of hours ago and overheard the doctor talking about how if I wake up, there's a pretty big chance I'll wake up without my eyesight; blindness will most likely be temporary, but I also could be blind for the rest of my life.

Naturally, I flipped out when I heard that, and then I passed out again. I think that was only a couple of hours ago... But who knows, I don't have a way to keep track of time in this ominous place.

"She's in a coma," a male voice hisses, "she's not sleeping, this is different. The only way she'll wake up is when her memory is fully recovered and she's fully aware of everything that's going on around her. Also, her brain needs to properly heal."

"How long until she wakes up," the first person says, her voice cracking.

"I don't know," the male whispers, "I wish I knew the answer to that question."

After a moment of silence, realization dawns on me and I realize that the two people conversing are Julie and Elliot. A pang of sadness and longing enters my heart as I think of how Elliot and I left things.

"Wow, you really love her don't you," Julie says softly, and I figure it's from the way Eliot's staring at me. It's strange how I can almost feel his gaze on me even when I can't even feel my own skin.

"Unfortunately," he mumbles and I flinch. That was harsh, but understandable and expected.

"Why would you say that when you haven't even tried?" she scoffs and I smile slightly. Typical Julie, meddling in people's lives.

"It's not even worth trying," he sighs, defeated, "I observe the way her and Jace--" he sneers his name, "—look at each other. I know I've known her for numerous years more than Jace, but all that time, we've been bickering and insulting each other for competition."

"When did you know," she asks quietly. Honestly, I'm shocked Elliot didn't share this information with her sooner; especially before he consulted me. I know Elliot and Julie are also pretty close and presumably, he shares everything with her like me. I guess I should've figured Elliot being Elliot and the fact that he's a guy would mean he would keep some information confidential.

"I've thought about it for longer that I wish," he admits softly, "When I first met her, I did secretly admire her feistiness and hatred towards me, but most of me also resented her back. Maybe when I reached the peak of my childhood and was about to board the train to becoming a hormonal teen I started developing a slight crush on her. Now don't get me wrong, I have been into other girls along the way, but I never fell in love with them like I did Violet. Maybe I realized I loved her just last year or sometime around there."

"You've kept your feelings in for this long? Man, if I were you, I would only be able to hold such intense emotions in for possibly a week," she jokes. 

"I'm used to it."

"You've never really been an open kind of guy." I hear a smack and his groan of protest and stifle a chuckle. "Maybe if that changed, you would have the girl instead of Jace."

"Firstly, ouch. Secondly, I'm not going to change who I am for Violet just because she doesn't feel the same as me. Also, I don't know if she's introduced you to Jace, but the guy's literally a closed book. Like, the pages are so firmly glued together, you'd have to hack at them with scissors in order to pry it open. But if you hacked at the pages with scissors, you would injure the poor book and some of the words would be unreadable."